Day 7. What/when to toss?

Puddle Foot Farm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Maryland
Okay. It's Day 7, and I just candled a couple eggs. I also candled on Day 5. On Day 5, I was pretty sure I had 9 bloodring eggs, and one clear, and now I'm fairly sure those all are bloodring, plus maybe some more.

I've been desperately trying to find good pictures of bloodring eggs and candling.. But I seem to be uncapable. Anyone have any examples of what I SHOULD be looking for? Some of them look kind of odd, but alive.. Maybe? I'm just so confused as to what exactly I should be seeing.

Also, when I determine what to toss, when should I do that? Immediately? Day 10? When, exactly? I have 48 eggs total in the incubator..

Oh, and I can take pictures, if anyone is willing to help me determine..

Anyone? I'm getting kinda sad about this.. Looks like most of my Spitzhauben and Brabanters have quit on me. Or is it typical to not be able to see the embryo all the time on day 7?

Most of my polish are charging along, though. They're great.

Also, is it possible that my eggs are on slightly different development stages? It seems that the eggs near the front of the 'bator, where I open it to turn, are slightly less developed and that might be why I can't see them?

gosh, no help here. But a bump
smile.png

I never toss an egg before ten days, and usually just leave em in til 18 unless the bator starts to smell.

Been wrong about candling results one too many times and I always open the egg to check. So I know when I'm right and when I was wrong.

I set eggs under 2,now 3, hens saturday and sunday and by day three I could see the chicks forming so I would probably say toss those
sad.png
sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'm gonna toss them.. Except one.. I dropped it. WELL, my cat ran into the room and knocked it off the candler. Luckily, it had basically no development.

So.. I guess I'll just leave them. One question, though. How obvious is the stink smell? I try to keep the bator as closed as possible. Is it like, a scent that I WILL smell? Are there any precursors to it?

Back
Top Bottom