Day 8 candling

waddles99

Songster
8 Years
Jun 22, 2013
NJ
Hello, I have candled my chicken eggs at day 8, kinda new to this, can anyone tell me if anything is developing? Thanks

Egg 1

Egg 2

Egg 3

Egg 4

Sorry, but I'm not seeing anything :( Developing eggs look something like this on day 8, did you see anything like this?

If they aren't developing, we can help you troubleshoot what went wrong. Did you crack a few eggs open before setting to check that they were fertile and the rooster was doing his job?

I have seen the cockerel mounting before. I am pretty sure he is fertile but it still is early. I didn't crack any because I have seen him mounting and just assumed he was doing his job.

I have seen the cockerel mounting before. I am pretty sure he is fertile but it still is early. I didn't crack any because I have seen him mounting and just assumed he was doing his job. 

He might not be lining up right or if he or the hens are of a particularly fluffy breed that may be impeding fertilization and you may need to trim the feathers around their vents.

Can you tell us what kind of incubator you are using and what the temps have been at?

He might not be lining up right or if he or the hens are of a particularly fluffy breed that may be impeding fertilization and you may need to trim the feathers around their vents.

Can you tell us what kind of incubator you are using and what the temps have been at?

I just cracked one of his eggs laid 2 days later from the last egg in the incubator. It had a bullseye in it. I know he is breeding them. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the incubator? It is a brinsea mini 2 advanced. Paid over $200 for it. The temps are at 37.5 degrees celsius. Hopefully I can get something figured out quick. I am about to start another batch of 4 tonight.

I just cracked one of his eggs laid 2 days later from the last egg in the incubator. It had a bullseye in it. I know he is breeding them. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the incubator? It is a brinsea mini 2 advanced. Paid over $200 for it. The temps are at 37.5 degrees celsius. Hopefully I can get something figured out quick. I am about to start another batch of 4 tonight. 

Those are usually very reliable incubators, but you might want to double check the temp with a separate thermometer to be safe.

Could be he wasn't fertilizing them before, but is now being successful. In that case if you set some eggs now they should develop.

I'll have to agree with Pyxis then. It sounds like you are doing everything right, so maybe he was still learning how to do things right and those eggs just didn't get fertilized. You can actually crack them open and see, if you haven't already thrown them out.

Back
Top Bottom