Day 8 candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waddles99, Feb 8, 2017.

1. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Hello, I have candled my chicken eggs at day 8, kinda new to this, can anyone tell me if anything is developing? Thanks

Egg 1
    [​IMG]
    Egg 2
    [​IMG]
    Egg 3
    [​IMG]
    Egg 4
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry, but I'm not seeing anything :( Developing eggs look something like this on day 8, did you see anything like this?

[​IMG]

If they aren't developing, we can help you troubleshoot what went wrong. Did you crack a few eggs open before setting to check that they were fertile and the rooster was doing his job?

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It doesn't look like it. You should see veins by now. Are these from your flock? Do you have a rooster and have you ever checked for a "bullseye" in the eggs?

4. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I have seen the cockerel mounting before. I am pretty sure he is fertile but it still is early. I didn't crack any because I have seen him mounting and just assumed he was doing his job.

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

He might not be lining up right or if he or the hens are of a particularly fluffy breed that may be impeding fertilization and you may need to trim the feathers around their vents.

Can you tell us what kind of incubator you are using and what the temps have been at?

6. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I just cracked one of his eggs laid 2 days later from the last egg in the incubator. It had a bullseye in it. I know he is breeding them. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the incubator? It is a brinsea mini 2 advanced. Paid over $200 for it. The temps are at 37.5 degrees celsius. Hopefully I can get something figured out quick. I am about to start another batch of 4 tonight.

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Those are usually very reliable incubators, but you might want to double check the temp with a separate thermometer to be safe.

Could be he wasn't fertilizing them before, but is now being successful. In that case if you set some eggs now they should develop.

8. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    How did you store them prior to setting them?

9. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I stored them just in a simple carton propped up with a glass jar, and turned them to tilt the other way in the morning and evening.

10. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I'll have to agree with Pyxis then. It sounds like you are doing everything right, so maybe he was still learning how to do things right and those eggs just didn't get fertilized. You can actually crack them open and see, if you haven't already thrown them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by