Day 8 (The First Candling) Some disappointment, and some excitement!

TheMallardMan

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
North Carolina, US
Today, I candled my Mallard Eggs for the first time. It is day 8 of their incubation. Now I am no expert on this, so if I anything is wrong, or you have any tips or comments, please post them below and enjoy the photos
tongue.png
Sorry if it's hard to see the development, I used a cell phone light for the candling (the camera flash light) so it may be too bright.

Egg # 1

This one was obviously infertile, You could see a yolk, but no progress of any kind, it was like candling a grocery store egg.

Egg # 2

This one had multiple veins, and was a dark orange-ish color, with about half of it being taken up by the fetus. I got so excited!
wee.gif

Egg # 3

This one was also very fertile, with many veins. You could tell something was growing.

Egg # 4

Same as 2 & 3, many veins and a good sized fetus growing inside.

Egg # 5

Same as 2, 3, and 4.

Egg # 6

This one is harder to see, but it had the same developments of 2-5

Egg # 7

This one lite up like a light bulb, I knew instantly the little bugger didn't make it.
hit.gif

Come to think of it, I don't remember even seeing a yolk!
So all in all, about a 71% fertility rate within the first week. I am leaving the two infertile eggs in there until the next candling though (one week from today) just in case.

I currently had the temps at 99.5 and humidity is being kept between 40%-50%, and they are in an automatic egg turner, and I am rotating them 90 degrees each day, because the turner only moves them back and forth on one side.

Do I need to change anything, or should I keep up what i'm doing? And, its it common to lose more fetuses as the incubation process goes on? I'd be distraught if I lost one more, that'd be almost half gone.

Your temperature and amount of turning seems good for now. But, I would up the humidity to 50%-60%. Waterfowl eggs need plenty of humidity.

You may lose a couple more embryos as the incubation progresses. Even with optimal incubation conditions, some will usually die or fail to hatch. But, if you keep the temperature, humidity, and turning as correct as possible, you can minimize any losses.

Good luck with the incubation!

Your temperature and amount of turning seems good for now. But, I would up the humidity to 50%-60%. Waterfowl eggs need plenty of humidity.

You may lose a couple more embryos as the incubation progresses. Even with optimal incubation conditions, some will usually die or fail to hatch. But, if you keep the temperature, humidity, and turning as correct as possible, you can minimize any losses.

Good luck with the incubation!
That's interesting... in another thread I recommended lowering humidity. When I incubated ducks at 50 to 60% they grew too big to hatch. I have had better luck with dry hatching ducks. What kind of ducks do you hatch?

Back
Top Bottom