Day Cage - Safe?

Krazikatlady64

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Armenia, SC
My husband just got this cage from a friend. It may have had turtles in it, but a long time ago. Our coop is not completed yet, and they need more space. I think it will help get the girls out during the day. I am going to wash it and take the old chicken wire off, replace with new. Put luan (thin wood) that we have for the floor and pine chips so their feet don't get stuck in the wire floor. They will be mostly supervised and it will be on the back deck. What are your thoughts? Do you think the rust will be an issue? 7.5' L x 5.5'w x 4' ht

Attachments

• 20200604_193947.jpg
    20200604_193947.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • 20200604_194008.jpg
    20200604_194008.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 17
Eh, the rust wouldn't bother me, and your changes should help make it a bit safer.

Not sure how your back deck looks but if it's getting pretty hot there (anything 80F-ish or more), I'd make sure to sit it in shade/mostly shade.

I have a pop-up canopy I was going to put over it and the deck is shaded most of the day. I will supervise it, so if they seem to "pant" I'll get a fan running. Thank you. The coop build is taking forever! 2 weeks of rain. The girls are 7 weeks old now!

Oof, yup the joys of trying to cobble together a coop that needed to be done yesterday!

I wouldn't run a fan though, deep shade should be good enough, maybe a shallow pan of water to dip their toes in.

I think it will help get the girls out during the day.
How many birds and how old are they?
One thing I see is how are you going to get them out of there to take back inside at night?

Hot weather tips:
Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

8 - 7 week old birds will use this. It is getting hot here and the humidity is rising. It will be covered with the pop-up canopy so it should not have sun and that area only gets about 2 hours sun since it is on the northside anyway. The comment about the hawk is not good, although I am hoping since they are right next to the house with human and dog activity while they are out. No hawks have been this close to the house. This wire cage is getting new chicken wire and a wood floor to make me feel safer about the rusted wire. I will definitely use the ice blocks as you have suggested. We will see if they dip in! I just need to get them more room until the coop is done. It's not safe enough to leave them in 24/7.

Moving them one by one from around the corner to their cage in the kitchen is about 20 feet. It will be a pain, but they can't stay where they are all day. I am hoping 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom