Day changes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jetskier506, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jetskier506

jetskier506 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    I've read they wont start laying while the days are shorter. I live in Georgia, When is the latest a chicken will lay its first egg instead of waiting till january to lay it?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They most certainly WILL start laying while the days are shorter. They don't tend to lay AS MANY eggs when the days are shorter, but new pullets will often lay quite well over their first winter. One of my BO's laid her first egg Dec 26th - only 5 days after the shortest day of the year!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yep, they'll still start laying.

4. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    It's been a year this month when I first got my chickens, they didn't start laying their eggs until January and they've laid every couple of days with the short days. Granted, I didn't get an egg everyday but when March rolled around it was like they were fighting over the most popular nest box to lay their egg and then I got an egg everyday. [​IMG] I've noticed that they lay their eggs in the morning now instead of in the late afternoon due to the days getting shorter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by