Day nineteen, chick popped externally wrong end

DogIsMyShepherd

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Canada
So I had posted about some eggs I have in the incubator that had small air cells. When I went in to lockdown yesterday afternoon 6 out of 8 had good air cells 2 had smaller ones. Well this morning one of the smaller air cell eggs have externally pipped but at the wrong end. My incubator loses humidity quickly so I have to add water every 6 hrs. Keeping humidity at 55-65%. What should I do for this chick that pipped wrong end?
Today is day 19

Chicks do occasionally pip at the wrong end. It's usually fine. Two out of my six from my last hatch but one pipped the wrong end. Both were fine. It's more worrying that it's pipped this early.

Chicks do occasionally pip at the wrong end. It's usually fine. Two out of my six from my last hatch but one pipped the wrong end. Both were fine. It's more worrying that it's pipped this early.

Ok so I don’t need. To intervene? My last hatch was three eggs, one hatched day 19, one day 20, and one day 21

You may have to at some point, who knows. But it's more worrying to me that it's this early. It's possible you have had the humidity/heat too low or too high.
I have never helped a chick hatch. I wouldn't like to. If you need to, someone can help you with that.
How long ago is it he pipped?

When they externally pip in the wrong end, it's the same as an internal pip in the right end. (They don't have access to the air bubble inside the egg, so they need to surpass that stage and go directly to breathing from the outside). So don't get antsy and don't worry, it's gonna sit like that for maybe a day.
I've had loads of wrong-enders and they usually do just fine. Sometimes they get stuck when unzipping and you need to pull the two halves apart for it, especially if the membrane dries up. So keep the humidity as high as you can.

3 more hatched overnight. 2 still have a little yolk sac not fully absorbed. One had its leg and wing stuck to its body. I had to leave for work at 6:30am so had to give the sticky one a quick little bath with warm water. Freed his leg and wing dried him off and popped him back in uncubator. I found it hard to leave them, I wanted to do more but had to leave for work

Back
Top Bottom