Day old breed guesses

This is an interesting assortment! What do you intend to do with them when they are grown? Will you try and keep them together or separate out the fighty breeds?

Cream Legbars should always have a crest, not just sometimes.

I can easily believe they are always supposed to have a crest, but I think there are lines where the crest doesn’t always appear? I’ve seen several people post here confused about their non-crested Cream Legbars. Is the crest a dominant trait?

I can easily believe they are always supposed to have a crest, but I think there are lines where the crest doesn’t always appear? I’ve seen several people post here confused about their non-crested Cream Legbars. Is the crest a dominant trait?
Crest is a dominant trait. So yes, a breeder could have some that show crests but carry the gene for non-crested, and those birds could produce non-crested chicks

You are right that I meant they are always supposed to have a crest. A non-crested one is wrong in the same way that a single comb Wyandotte is wrong, or a bird with the wrong leg color. They sometimes do happen, but good breeders should try to avoid producing such chicks. It is genetically possible to get a line that breeds true for the correct trait (crested Legbars, rose comb Wyandottes, correct leg color in any breed.) There exist some genes that cannot ever breed true-- blue feather leg color, ear tufts in Araucanas, short legs in Japanese bantams. Crested head is NOT a gene like that.

"Always crested" for Legbars was partly meant to distinguish them from Icelandics, where crest and no-crest are both considered correct for the breed.

Last edited:
Crest is a dominant trait. So yes, a breeder could have some that show crests but carry the gene for non-crested, and those birds could produce non-crested chicks

You are right that I meant they are always supposed to have a crest. A non-crested one is wrong in the same way that a single comb Wyandotte is wrong, or a bird with the wrong leg color. They sometimes do happen, but good breeders should try to avoid producing such chicks. It is genetically possible to get a line that breeds true for the correct trait (crested Legbars, rose comb Wyandottes, correct leg color in any breed.) There exist some genes that cannot ever breed true-- blue leg color, ear tufts in Araucanas, short legs in Japanese bantams. Crested head is NOT a gene like that.

"Always crested" for Legbars was partly meant to distinguish them from Icelandics, where crest and no-crest are both considered correct for the breed.
Ah I see, thank you for explaining for me! I was unaware that there are genes which never breed true, that’s so interesting.

Thanks yall, I appreciate you taking the time to noreow this down a bit. I know this is a super weird assortment of breeds. I had a broody RIR and really wanted leige fighters in my flock. This assortment was the only one avaliable on ebay so I got it. Ultimately my goal is to integrate them into my non game flock from birth, breed, and hopefully endup with a flock of hybrid game/domestic laying chickens that will be more predator evasive. I figure worst. Ase I just sell or eat the ones I don't want from the assortment like a cochin or brahma.

Ah I see, thank you for explaining for me! I was unaware that there are genes which never breed true, that’s so interesting.
I just spotted a typo in my example: blue FEATHER color is the one that cannot breed true. Blue leg color, and also blue egg color, are able to breed true.

I would add for clarification, that from my reading Icelandic are a landrace not a breed, like Shetlands are, which accounts for the variety in their phenotypes. So when NatJ talks about them having crests or not, or whatever colour legs etc, these landraces do not have a fixed Breed Standard and can have varying physical features and still be members of the landrace genetically.

I just spotted a typo in my example: blue FEATHER color is the one that cannot breed true. Blue leg color, and also blue egg color, are able to breed true.

Oh, I understand what you mean now! Honestly, I don’t know why, but I was interpreting “cannot breed true” as if the children would never show the trait, and it would skip a generation and show up in the grandchildren or something. I’m not very logically oriented, lol. If I recall, two blue feathered parents can produce some blue feathered chicks, but it’s only a 50% chance, thus you can’t say they “breed true” as it’s not 100% of the time. You taught me this not too long ago :)

Thanks yall, I appreciate you taking the time to noreow this down a bit. I know this is a super weird assortment of breeds. I had a broody RIR and really wanted leige fighters in my flock. This assortment was the only one avaliable on ebay so I got it. Ultimately my goal is to integrate them into my non game flock from birth, breed, and hopefully endup with a flock of hybrid game/domestic laying chickens that will be more predator evasive. I figure worst. Ase I just sell or eat the ones I don't want from the assortment like a cochin or brahma.
#4 looks like it has the right coloring to possibly be a Liege Fighter. Fingers crossed for you! :fl

Back
Top Bottom