Day old breed guesses

Oh, I understand what you mean now! Honestly, I don’t know why, but I was interpreting “cannot breed true” as if the children would never show the trait, and it would skip a generation and show up in the grandchildren or something. I’m not very logically oriented, lol. If I recall, two blue feathered parents can produce some blue feathered chicks, but it’s only a 50% chance, thus you can’t say they “breed true” as it’s not 100% of the time. You taught me this not too long ago :)
Yes, that is what I meant. By "breed true" I meant all birds show the trait in every generation. The ones that do not breed true are the ones where some chicks show the trait and some do not, like with blue feathers.

So all of the eggs that hatched were either white or a shade of brown/tan. So I don't think there should be any Legbar in there.

That simplifies things a little bit. We're down to 8 options (plus the chance of some being mixes.) I can rule out some options for individual chicks too (example: the chipmunk-striped chick is not an Ayam Cemani.)

But for most of them, I think it could take up to several months to become clear. Feather color will help, along with size and posture and body shape. For example, an Icelandic and an Aseel could have the same comb type, and could have the same color feathers, but the size and posture should make them easy to tell apart when they mature.

And when most of them start getting red in their combs, Ayam Cemanis should stand out by still having black combs.

So my broody just hatched some fertilized eggs I got from somebody and wasn't there to see the eggs, they hatched from. They gave me the list of possible breeds that the eggs are but I'm pretty stumped. Anybody want to take some guesses?

Here are the possible breeds:

Indio Gigante
Liege Fighter
Cream Legbar
Lavender Orpington
Cream Mint Legbar
Ayam Cemani
Mystic Onyx
Buff Brahma
Thai Aseel
Icelandic
The one with a copper face is a rooster🐔

So 5 weeks later and here is what ol copper face looks like now. Same opinion?

Attachments

• 20231005_142117.jpg
    20231005_142117.jpg
    917.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom