Day old breed guesses

Dean126

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
So my broody just hatched some fertilized eggs I got from somebody and wasn't there to see the eggs, they hatched from. They gave me the list of possible breeds that the eggs are but I'm pretty stumped. Anybody want to take some guesses?

Here are the possible breeds:

Indio Gigante
Liege Fighter
Cream Legbar
Lavender Orpington
Cream Mint Legbar
Ayam Cemani
Mystic Onyx
Buff Brahma
Thai Aseel
Icelandic

Attachments

• 20230824_095106.jpg
    20230824_095106.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230824_151812.jpg
    20230824_151812.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230824_151913.jpg
    20230824_151913.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230824_152145.jpg
    20230824_152145.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230824_151916.jpg
    20230824_151916.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230824_152145.jpg
    20230824_152145.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230824_152151.jpg
    20230824_152151.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230824_152207.jpg
    20230824_152207.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230824_152211.jpg
    20230824_152211.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230824_152216.jpg
    20230824_152216.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230824_095104.jpg
    20230824_095104.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230824_095057.jpg
    20230824_095057.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 20
So my broody just hatched some fertilized eggs I got from somebody and wasn't there to see the eggs, they hatched from. They gave me the list of possible breeds that the eggs are but I'm pretty stumped. Anybody want to take some guesses?

Indio Gigante
Liege Fighter
Cream Legbar
Lavender Orpington
Cream Mint Legbar
Ayam Cemani
Mystic Onyx
Buff Brahma
Thai Aseel
Icelandic
Are they supposed to be purebred chickens, with each breed kept in a separate pen and the eggs could be from any pens?

Or do that have all those breeds mixed in one flock, so each chicks could be a mix of any combination of those breeds?

Cute chicks!

Were the eggs from this person’s flock or did they buy them from a breeder/hatchery before giving them to you? If the former, the chicks may just be barnyard mixes, unless the person who gave them to you made sure they’re not allowing crosses between breeds. Also Mystic Onyx is itself a cross, so that one shouldn’t breed true, I think. The person may have made a Silkie mix that is similar to a Mystic Onyx though.

It’s a very interesting assortment of breeds. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Cream Mint Legbar?

Edit: I see NatJ already asked the pertinent questions while I was typing :)

Are they supposed to be purebred chickens, with each breed kept in a separate pen and the eggs could be from any pens?

Or do that have all those breeds mixed in one flock, so each chicks could be a mix of any combination of those breeds?
They should all be pure bred from what I understand. At least that's the way they were sold to me. I havnt seen her facilities though.

But I bought them here https://stonedturkeyshomestead.com/

Last edited:
Well, at the very least I don’t think I see any Buff Brahmas or Lav Orpingtons. #2 could be an Ayam Cemani, as I believe a Mystic Onyx should have 5 toes from its Silkie heritage. The others are tough to determine at this age. I’m out of my depth regarding the large game birds. If you have any chicks with pea combs, they’re either one of the games or an Icelandic, but other comb types do happen in those breeds I believe. If any develop crests they should be one of the Legbars or an Icelandic, but either breed may present without a crest too.

That’s about as far as I can help to narrow it down. Please update with photos as they get older. I’m following to see which ones turn out to be velociraptors!
:pop

Well, at the very least I don’t think I see any Buff Brahmas or Lav Orpingtons. #2 could be an Ayam Cemani, as I believe a Mystic Onyx should have 5 toes from its Silkie heritage. The others are tough to determine at this age. I’m out of my depth regarding the large game birds. If you have any chicks with pea combs, they’re either one of the games or an Icelandic, but other comb types do happen in those breeds I believe. If any develop crests they should be one of the Legbars or an Icelandic, but either breed may present without a crest too.

That’s about as far as I can help to narrow it down. Please update with photos as they get older. I’m following to see which ones turn out to be velociraptors!
:pop
Thanks that was pretty helpful, I'm unfamiliar with these types of birds as well. One brahma popped up, but that one was fairly obvious it's number 1.

Thanks that was pretty helpful, I'm unfamiliar with these types of birds as well. One brahma popped up, but that one was fairly obvious it's number 1.
Really? The Buff Brahma chick photos I’ve been looking at looked different to me. I assume it has the feathered legs, and that’s what made it obvious? I’ve never had any Brahmas myself, so I’m no expert.

I was seeing pictures like this online, and yours looked much lighter to me, plus I couldn’t see its feet:

1301ACAA-7455-45CE-A857-DA453A3F679B.jpeg
This picture was from Meyer Hatchery

29FDB3F8-FC46-4C93-B3CA-6342F17AB673.jpeg
This one was from Cackle Hatchery

They should all be pure bred from what I understand. At least that's the way they were sold to me. I havnt seen her facilities though.

But I bought them here https://stonedturkeyshomestead.com/
Purebreds are definitely possible, but it looks like some barnyard mixes might also be possible.
https://stonedturkeyshomestead.com/shop/p/six-ultra-rare-chicken-hatching-eggs
This egg assortment says, "Breeds this may include may be a purebred or barnyard mix of the following" and then has a list of breeds.

Indio Gigante
Liege Fighter
Cream Legbar
Lavender Orpington
Cream Mint Legbar
Ayam Cemani
Mystic Onyx
Buff Brahma
Thai Aseel
Icelandic
I mostly agree with what @Winderdear said:
Additional notes:
You can look up possible comb types for each breed, to help sort the chicks.
Breeds that should have a single comb:
Cream Legbar
Lavender Orpington
Cream Mint Legbar
Ayam Cemani

Breed that must have a pea comb:
Buff Brahma

Breeds that could have a variety of comb types (single, rose, pea, walnut):
Mystic Onyx
Icelandic

Breeds that could have pea combs, but I think could also have some other types:
Thai Aseel
Indio Gigante
Liege Fighter
(I don't know much about these three breeds.)

Cream Legbars should always have a crest, not just sometimes.
"Cream Mint Legbar" appears to be a Legbar-based green egg layer, so I can't tell if it would still have the crest or not (depends on what else was crossed in and how they did the selection after that.)
Icelandic can have a crest or not crest, a variety of comb types, and a variety of colors, but I have read that they should not have feathered feet.

Feathered feet would mean Brahma, or maybe Mystic Onyx.

Chicks that are mostly black, with a bit of yellow or white on the breast and underside, often grow up to be black adults, but they may show a few white feathers when they are young. Ayam Cemani are supposed to be black all over, including the feet and the inside of the mouth. Mystic Onyx might have that too or they might not. I think all the other breeds would have normal color inside their mouths and on at least some other parts of the body.

Lavender Orpingtons would be a pale gray shade. I agree with @Winderdear that none of the chicks in the photos look the right color for that.

The chick that is pale all over (#1) does not look to me like a Buff Brahma, but if it has feathered feet it also does not look right for any other breed on the list. So maybe it is a breed that is not listed, or a mix of some breeds, or maybe I am wrong about it ;)

Edit to add: you say you did not see which chick hatched from which egg. Do you know how many of what color eggs were in the clutch and hatched?

Back
Top Bottom