day old chick is weak and won't stop flipping its head back

Heverjean

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
HELP! Got a new shipment of chicks in today (replacements of the losses from last shipment) 1 was DOA 5 are very perky and active and one will not stop laying its head on its neck and falling over. Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks
hu.gif

new babies 4-24-13.JPG

Try giving some gatorade or pedialyte, or even a little sugar in some water. I would just watch it a day or so and see if it recovers. And make sure the others aren't picking on it badly.

I have been feeding it electrolyte mix with an eye dropper and have it in an isolation pen. Will keep you posted. Thanks

It's called wry neck. I am dealing with it right now! It is treatable, but takes time and patience. Here is the directions I followed with positive results. I am still not out of the woods with my silkie, but it is back with it's hatch mates and holding it's own.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-a-wry-neck-chick-story-with-pics-with-update

Be sure to know that you most likely will have good and bad days during treatment! 2 nights ago I was ready to cull as it was 4 days into treatment and doing horribly. The next morning I woke up to a regular looking chick , and except for a couple of times of stress that made it go back to a twisted neck for a moment or two, it has been doing great.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your advice. I wrapped the chick up in towel nest and fed it electrolytes for a few hours. She made it thought the night in the brooder with the other hatchlings. It made my day knowing that a little extra TLC saved her. Will post pictures later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom