Day old chick needs help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Apr 19, 2011.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I have a day old silkie, hatched out in my LG. She is not walking properly. I cannot determine whether it is spraddle leg, or like splayed leg...I am new to hatching and she is my first problem chick. Can anyone help determine what is wrong with her? she doesnt stand up and walk, she kind of hobbles along, it seems like one leg is turned in, not set properly. Its so hard to explain...Any ideas/help/advice is appreciated. Thank you

2. rainbowhorse3

rainbowhorse3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Hop Bottom
    sorry to hear about your chick. i've hatched out hundreds of chicks....lol! i've had a few end up like that, but after a couple of days, they were walking normally. i had one that actually wouldn't even stand up for like 3 days, and i had to pick it up and hand feed it and water it.....after the 3 days though, she got up and was walking around just as if there was never anything wrong with her. i had another one that after a day and a half, she got up and was walking like a drunkin sailor, but after about a day or 2 of that, she was walking just as normal as can be. so, it may not be anything to worry about. maybe somebody else will have some better advice for you, but me, i wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it doesn't straighten out in a couple of days.

3. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Quote:Thank you sooooo much for replying! You give me hope she may be alright! I am a bit attached to my silkies, as they are my grandchickens essentially! LOL Id hate to lose one! I will give her some more time, and just make sure she is drinking and eating. Thanks again!!!

4. rainbowhorse3

rainbowhorse3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Hop Bottom
    that, to me, seems to be about all you can do, and hope for the best. i have tons of different varieties of chicks......some of them backyard mixes...no telling what they are. the 2 that had problems out of my last hatch, apparently had a strong will to live, and well, like i said, they are a month old or so, and you wouldn't know there was ever anything wrong with them. now, i brought in some chickens that i got from someone else, and now have a bunch of chicks on my hands pooping blood.....not good. so, now i'm medicating everybody, which is currently about 75 chicks or so, plus my 7 adult chickens. not good. i've lost four 2 month old chicks so far, and am very disappointed about that. they were my favorites of all of them. good luck with your little one. i know how terrible it is to lose them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by