Day Old Chick Not Thriving

I’m sorry :hugs
We too lost chicks.. last year when we started our flock. :hugs

Thank you. I went into this knowing that odds are, I’d have some DOA. I was so happy that they were all alive when I picked them up. I knew Daisy would have a tough time thriving when I saw her struggling so much.

I grew up with lots of animals. My daughter has only had dogs, cats, hamsters, and fish. They all live to ripe old ages due to good care.

I warned her that we could lose some chicks, but she knows our track record. We had a three year old Russian dwarf hamster who lived to more than twice his average lifespan. I’m a champion fish-fixer, and our dog is 14 but acts like a puppy. I think DD thinks that Mom can save any animal, and now she’s beside herself.

I’m sad for the loss of Daisy, and sad that it happened during DD’s spring break when she was looking forward to baby chicks and a new beginning of the year.

I had such a failure-to-thrive chick from MPC a couple years ago. Like yours, I was so focused on trying to save her, she was the only one I had named up to the point where she finally gave up her fight. Mine suffered a few days longer than yours, had painful constipation, and I had to make the hard choice to euthanize her. At least Daisy spared you that difficult task. Now enjoy those fat, healthy chicks waiting for names.

Thanks, azygous. My bio major daughter will also understand and appreciate your username when I show her these posts tomorrow:)

I’m glad you understand why she was the only one we named. It would have been so much worse after a few days of nursing a baby we had bonded with for days. My broken heart goes out to you as well.

I knew Daisy wouldn’t make it, even while I held out hope for some kind of Nutri-Drench miracle. I’m a realist. I have fourteen healthy and VERY LOUD babies to care for.

Hoping my DD can do the same. She always has to have a favorite. Maybe the cute little LO who was cuddling Daisy? Or maybe someone else? As for me, I love them all, and I love hearing their (loud!) peeps and seeing their antics.

Back
Top Bottom