Day old chick with DRIED yolk sac covering vent

mammat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
columbus ohio
Chick hatched yesterday. Today I noticed the yolk sac about the size of a dime is dried hard to the underbelly. It hatched under a broody so I was unable to inspect it until now. It is walking and eating but the DRIED yolk is covering the vent. If I try to get it off will I pull the chicks guts out? Its vent needs to be uncovered. I searched and searched and all the posts are about new hatches with a WET yolk sac.
Thanks in advance for any help. This is my first hatch and I am not sure what to do.
hu.gif

Treat it like you would with pasty butt. Take a warm damp rag/paper towel and soak it to soften it and genlty try to remove it.
smile.png

OK thanks. I am a nurse but
barnie.gif
...I would not make a very good farmer. I am sick to my stomach just thinking about picking this stuff off!

I got enough off to uncover the vent. Do you think I should keep going or leave the rest alone? Will it fall off eventually?

Large "scab" of yolk is still stuck on this chick. It is active and eating/drinking and pooping. You would not know the difference from the other chicks except it is smaller. Should I just leave it alone?
Ping- you can see it has no rear end
26453_100_5182.jpg

Normal chick from the hatch
26453_100_5179.jpg

Just in case anyone else ever has this happen.... The chick is doing GREAT! Most of the yolk has now fallen off and it still is smaller than the rest but just as active. I just made sure its vent was clear and left the scab(dried yolk) alone. I am pretty sure it did not absorb most of its yolk when it hatched because momma hen had quite a bit on her and I found some in the nest too but "she" is doing great at day 8 post hatch.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom