Day old chick won't walk

EllieandOlive

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 29, 2020
West Central Kentucky
This cutie hatched earlier today. He was last to hatch (day 22) so was alone in the incubator and I noticed he keeps flopping to his back where he's stuck. After he fluffed I took him out and examined him. He doesn't have spraddle leg as they aren't to the side, but he can't hold his weight over his legs for more than a second, he falls back onto his bum with his legs straight out in front of him. He just sits on his rear or falls to his back. Tendons don't appear to be slipped as he has great flexibility and extension in both legs. I've tried massaging and extending them back some. He can stand briefly with his legs straight but always leans back to sit, like his bottom is too heavy.
Anyone have other ideas? What about a chick chair? I tried making one out of a tissue box but he kept pulling his legs out and stuggling...is that to be expected or did I make it wrong?

Attachments

• 0509210057a.jpg
    0509210057a.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 0509210057.jpg
    0509210057.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 0509210121.jpg
    0509210121.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 0509210120a.jpg
    0509210120a.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This cutie hatched earlier today. He was last to hatch (day 22) so was alone in the incubator and I noticed he keeps flopping to his back where he's stuck. After he fluffed I took him out and examined him. He doesn't have spraddle leg as they aren't to the side, but he can't hold his weight over his legs for more than a second, he falls back onto his bum with his legs straight out in front of him. He just sits on his rear or falls to his back. Tendons don't appear to be slipped as he has great flexibility and extension in both legs. I've tried massaging and extending them back some. He can stand briefly with his legs straight but always leans back to sit, like his bottom is too heavy.
Anyone have other ideas? What about a chick chair? I tried making one out of a tissue box but he kept pulling his legs out and stuggling...is that to be expected or did I make it wrong?
I agree with stipenvlerk it just probably needs time to gain strength from hatching. You could give it some water and moist food; received that tip from a member of this community and it works quite well; that whole "chicks have the yolk so they don't need to feed in one or two days" is real, but I have seen that giving them water and some food almost as soon as they lift their heads helps them get up quicker and become more active sooner.

I agree with stipenvlerk it just probably needs time to gain strength from hatching. You could give it some water and moist food; received that tip from a member of this community and it works quite well; that whole "chicks have the yolk so they don't need to feed in one or two days" is real, but I have seen that giving them water and some food almost as soon as they lift their heads helps them get up quicker and become more active sooner.
He has had some water, haven't offered food yet :) but I agree. I am a huge fan of chick electrolytes after hatch!

Back
Top Bottom