Day old duckling with wry neck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PotatoWaffles, Oct 16, 2015.

1. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    He had food and water, it's a very shallow small amount and he shouldn't get stuck in it. He also has a mirror and a blanket to snuggle in. If I'm gone too long I can call my mom and see if she can come check on them and let my dog out. One of the other ducklings hatched but had a lot of hardened membrane stuck to it. My husband did his best to moisten it and got most of it off right before we left, but the duck is very weak. We'll see what happens. It's a bad time to have to leave but my husband takes priority. Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    For sure, [​IMG]
    try not to worry too much and hope you get home to more ducklings..

3. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    I have another issue now. A second duck, Snowflake, hatched. She's the only other one to hatch. The rest of the eggs died right before hatching. There was a lot of dried membrane around Snowflake's head and side. Her foot is also curled. We put a tape boot on her to straighten her foot, but I noticed she can't close her eyes. The feathers around her head were hard and she fluffed up everywhere but her head and right wing area.

I just put her in a warm bath to soak everything up again, and got all the rest of the membrane off her that I could find. I very gently swabbed around her eyes with wet qtips and ruffled all the feathers on her head so they are sticking straight out. I got her to close her eyes a couple times but she still won't do it on her own. She can Only close the inner eyelid. I'm waming her up now. She's snuggled into my neck and hair and I have my heating blanket on for them too. Is here anything else I can do for her eyes? Should I put something like neosporin on her? Just wait and see?

On the bright side, Dickie seems to have gotten almost completely better. He only flings his head back when he drinks, and he's starting to get that figured out too. I bought PolViSol stuff and given it to both ducks and will continue with that for the next couple days. I just don't know what else to do for Snowflake. I dont want to lose either of them. I do NOT want to raise a lone duck. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is @Lacrystol or @Orca5094 or @WVduckchick or @momo18clara around?

Perhaps there is something gummy covering her that can be gently removed by spritzing her with lukewarm water and very carefully wiping her off.

5. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

That's pretty much what I just did. I can try again later, maybe tomorrow, but she started shivering and I want to get her nice and warmed up now. I did get most, if not all, the membrane off. I just hope she can close her eyes soon. She's trying to eat my earring this very second lol. She is the COOLEST color too. White with a little black here and there, black spots on her feet and, EEEEEEP, a black little booty butt! Look! Lol

[​IMG]

This picture was before her bath. I don't usually ever give the little ones baths until they're al least three or four days or a week old, but I didn't know what else to do.

6. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Quick picture update. Snowflake looks a lot better after her scrubby bath. Still open to suggestions tho. Still not sure if she can close her eyes well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't have experience, am wondering if some mild plain (or distilled?) water lightly misted on her head might help - but in a very warm place so she doesn't chill.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She is adorable, sounds like you have done a great job so far. and they each have a buddy. Very sorry for the other eggs. Maybe try a little neosoprin around her eyes if you find she is still having trouble until some of the more experienced hatchers come on.

How's your husband? hope it was a break.

9. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Have you tried anything besides a bath??

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    How long has the boots been on? Looks like she can stand which I would say she probably doesn't need them any more..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by