Day old Duckling's Feet are Curled Under

Not sure if you were talking to me but the duckling I have with the bad foot is a Blue Magpie and he's a week old. I just got him yesterday, we only ordered 3 (for my daughters 4 H) but she said that was the last one and she said I could have him for free or she would just take him back. I didn't want to not take him because I imagine he would have been culled. I really want to help him but I don't know if his foot can be fixed :(

I'll try to take a picture soon.

I have a little duck that hatched out like this. It would make sense for us. I accidentally left a window open 1 night during incubation!
1f62b.png
1f62b.png

We have a 3yr old duck that someone gave us and this ducks foot is curled under. The person who gave us the ducks said a vet told her it was arthritis. I like the credit card idea. Does anyone think this will help at all. A little more background on this duck. The previous owner was raising this duck in her house and feeding it cat food. She would put it in a small baby pool occasionally. We have a very large pond and Gimpy as we have named her seems to love the pond. We 12 other ducks for her to interact with. Unfortunately though, her foot and leg seem to be getting worse. It's very difficult for her to get around and it's about 50 yard waddle from the protected run to the pond that they make each day. Not sure what to do.

Last edited:
We have a 3yr old duck that someone gave us and this ducks foot is curled under. The person who gave us the ducks said a vet told her it was arthritis. I like the credit card idea. Does anyone think this will help at all. A little more background on this duck. The previous owner was raising this duck in her house and feeding it cat food. She would put it in a small baby pool occasionally. We have a very large pond and Gimpy as we have named her seems to love the pond. We 12 other ducks for her to interact with. Unfortunately though, her foot and leg seem to be getting worse. It's very difficult for her to get around and it's about 50 yard waddle from the protected run to the pond that they make each day. Not sure what to do.
As she continues to walk on her leg and foot it may continue to worsen. Any way you can keep her from walking so much maybe give her a small kiddy pool inside their enclosure with a different buddy each day. So she won't be lonely and make it easy for her to get in an out. Just like people with disabilities accommodations have to be made.I had an old drake that for the last 2 yrs of his life he lived to be 1 month shy of 12 yrs,anyway I carried him from his house to his area each day so he could be with his girl. He was a happy drake ate good and loved his females but just couldn't walk far.

Back
Top Bottom