Day old Duckling's Feet are Curled Under

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
One of the eggs I gave my FIL for his incubator at the end of March hatched yesterday. I went over tonight to see and the cute little guy's feet are curled up in a ball. He bops around unsteadily, but I don't remember my ducks having this problem last year. Of course, mine were 3 days old from the feed store.

Is this something he'll grow out of? Or is he crippled for life? He's a pekin/rouen cross.

It is actually pretty heartbreaking to see him having such a hard time getting around. He seems to be a great swimmer even with his issue. And he is extremely snuggly, the other ducks don't want anything to do with me but this guy, he loves being in my arms or laying on my belly and burying his bill in my neck.

The last thing I want to do is have him put down, because he does love life, besides having difficulty walking. But surgery or prosthetics would cost a small fortune I imagine :(

Just a a quick update. DH was at the farm a couple days ago and I asked him to take the shoes off the ducky. (he'd had them on about 4-5 days)

He is walking normally!!! I saw him yesterday and while the middle toe of one foot has a weird bump, where it may be broken and healing off kilter, he has no trouble running around with his buddies.

I think it worked!
big_smile.png

We have a 3yr old duck that someone gave us and this ducks foot is curled under. The person who gave us the ducks said a vet told her it was arthritis. I like the credit card idea. Does anyone think this will help at all. A little more background on this duck. The previous owner was raising this duck in her house and feeding it cat food. She would put it in a small baby pool occasionally. We have a very large pond and Gimpy as we have named her seems to love the pond. We 12 other ducks for her to interact with. Unfortunately though, her foot and leg seem to be getting worse. It's very difficult for her to get around and it's about 50 yard waddle from the protected run to the pond that they make each day. Not sure what to do.
As she continues to walk on her leg and foot it may continue to worsen. Any way you can keep her from walking so much maybe give her a small kiddy pool inside their enclosure with a different buddy each day. So she won't be lonely and make it easy for her to get in an out. Just like people with disabilities accommodations have to be made.I had an old drake that for the last 2 yrs of his life he lived to be 1 month shy of 12 yrs,anyway I carried him from his house to his area each day so he could be with his girl. He was a happy drake ate good and loved his females but just couldn't walk far.

I had been giving him bakers yeast as many posts on this site had been suggesting it for similar issues. YouTube and Google have not really been a good resource for help with this particular issue either.

The vet has experience with wildlife, ducks, eagles, other wild birds but it seemed to me she was at a loss as to identifing the cause of the issue, as well as suggestions of correcting. I feel like she had misdiagnosed him by prescribing antibiotics. No other vets will see him.

We have tried keeping him off it by setting him up in a raised sling for a while but it didnt help. I would try to maneuver it into a correct position and hold it with a splint but I dont want to hurt him.

I only want the best for this guy but with the improper diagnosis given, and being hopeful that it would sort itself out like the vet had been suggesting it would, I feel like it is too late to correct :(

I will splint if you think I should but how? In a standing position? In a sitting position? Should the ligament just fall in its proper place on it's own after being splinted a while (provided that is the problem after all)?

It's been about 2 weeks since this all began

I am not sure anything can be done, an avian vet maybe able to examine and give you a better diagnosis. But if it's an injury and it's been going on for over 2 weeks the leg may not be fixable. If you want to try and give him some kind of viable life then there maybe ways to make a padded something to go on the leg to protect it from sores etc. Which will happen if he can't stand on it. Or amputation? Sure wish I was a vet. :hugs maybe @casportpony can give some ideas. she isn't a vet either but has more knowledge about injuries etc.

You will need to make a little shoe for him. Get an old credit card and spread out his foot on top of it and trace around it. Cut out the shape of his foot. Tape his foot to the credit card cutout using bandaids or vet wrap or something that won't stick hard to his delicate webs. Repeat for the other foot. Leave the shoe on for a few days and unwrap, check and make sure you don't need a bigger shoe, if you need one at all. Reshoe if needed.

Back
Top Bottom