4 Day Old Duckling Has Foot Problems! What do I do?? (W/ Pictures)

LaGanza

Hatching
Jul 26, 2023
Hey! My friend and I have a 4 day old assisted hatched pekin duckling. She hasn’t been able to walk since birth and her foot is all curled up. She’s peeping, kicking, and eating fine, but we’ve had to help her poop as well. I’m not sure what to do or give her, my friend works at a veterinary center and has been giving her coconut oil in her water to assist with pooping as well as giving her mashed up peas every once in a while to feed her. I really need help because this is our miracle duckling and we’d be devastated if she didn’t make it. Any tips?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 7
Im thinking she needs niacin , it strengthens their legs. hopeful @New duck mommy 2021 will stop by soon to help or @Miss Lydia @Canadian Wind @cheezenkwackers
Its possible you might have to make little splint kind of foot bootie things to help the feet spread out and space the legs properly too
Hang in there I am confident help is on the way
for the niacin i would get liquid B complex
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex
it is given orally to ducks even though the label says injectable
maybe add some to the mashed peas
will she eat duck feed if you make it into a mash (add water ) and add the b complext to that
anything else someone else will come soon hang in there <3

Hey! My friend and I have a 4 day old assisted hatched pekin duckling. She hasn’t been able to walk since birth and her foot is all curled up. She’s peeping, kicking, and eating fine, but we’ve had to help her poop as well. I’m not sure what to do or give her, my friend works at a veterinary center and has been giving her coconut oil in her water to assist with pooping as well as giving her mashed up peas every once in a while to feed her. I really need help because this is our miracle duckling and we’d be devastated if she didn’t make it. Any tips?
She can’t stand at all ?
You could try boots for her feet but this will only work if baby can stand up
As for feeding anything other then duck feed you will need to provide chick grit on the side
They need this to help digest anything that isn’t regular feed

I would start baby on durvet vitamin B complex ( get at TS or on Amazon ) it says injectable for cattle but for ducks it’s oral
Adult ducks are 1ml
Baby I would do .25
Either directly through syringe just a few drops at a time on the tongue and let her swallow or on a few peas so you know she gets the full dose
You can also add nutritional yeast 1 tbs to 1 cup feed
Can also do an all around vitamin in the water like safe a chick ( there are others as well )

Even if the duckling can’t stand at first using the shoes will keep the feet in normal position.
Also please only feed starter since eating anything else requires grit and the duckling won’t be able to eat properly until it’s standing but warm water over a small amount of feed made into a soup might get it to eat just be careful it can swallow.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom