Duckling with crooked bill and foot/leg what can I do to help?

Ilovesilkies420

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
IMG_5601.jpeg
IMG_5606.jpeg

This duckling hatched last night she didn’t seem to have any trouble getting out of the egg, but when I went to take a closer look her, I was all messed up and not opening on the right side. The left one is fine. Her bill is crooked and seems to be turned to the right and then her right leg is stuck backwards and her little foot won’t open up doesn’t matter if I try to do it, it closes once more she’s eating, drinking and active as she can be. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Congratulations on your hatch!

I've had this footproblem before and here is how you can correct this. Time is key here.. You have to do this soon after hatching to see the best results.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/25619152/

The bill, you have to see how it grows out. Is her eye closed too?
Thank you for the advice. One of her eyes doesn’t open it has been like that since hatching but the other one is completely fine.

For the eye I would try Terramycin eye ointment it will help to moisten the eye lid and hopefully the eye will open if not permanently sealed.

Did you make a shoe to hold the foot flat like normal? That needs to be done asap . Can the leg be straightened?

Back
Top Bottom