Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
I'm up for all the suggestions I can get.

I get the bator tomorrow. I'll try and find the time to put it all together. read the instructions. Find a nice place to put it.

I may need to disable the ceiling fan in my room because I don't want it to get drafty!

Lets see the hatching tray for the 1588 holds 6 X 7 so that's 42.

I'll be getting:

6 Ameraucana (hopefully all Blue Wheaten)
6 Cuckoo Marans &
6 Salmon Faverolles from pasofino farms.

Then I'm getting

18 from bargain
it will be mostly leghorns with a 3 or 4 speckeled sussex thrown into the mix.

I pray the PO is kind to all of them.

Then I'm putting
at least 6 of our EE's little blue/green eggs in. Do little pullet eggs hatch? She's only been laying for about 2 weeks and we only get an egg every other day. I opened her third one and it was fertile. The first two are in the fridge and DW used one for cookies so we have three now and waiting for three more.

She's been bred by a black China Game and by our 21 week old EE roo "Spotty" I don't even know if he's mature enough to deliver the goods but he's been doing his thing with her.

Do you think I can get 10 to hatch out of 42 eggs.

I'm hoping.

Last edited:
You can get great results with pullet eggs. I bet you hatch more then 10.
thumbsup.gif

Here are pics of Sunshine and the two roos...

What will the chicks look like... total mutts?!!!

Sunshine the EE

10376_ee.jpg

Jerry D. A Black China Game (Son of Jerry Lee from neighborhod to the south) he has since been rehomed to the Lehi area in Mesa!

10376_jerrydee2.jpg

And here is Spotty... supposed to be EE but I don't believe he has a true pea comb.

10376_spotty.jpg

Could I get chicks from both roos since she's been with both?

Last edited:
My 1588 is still screaming at me from the master bathroom. I set 37 in it last Thursday for my first try at this chicken multiplication project. I am impressed on how well it holds temperature. It has been staying 99.3~99.7 the whole time. I do notice that it is sensitive to the room temperature, so I'm trying to keep the bathroom at 70 or so. I watched the humidity during and after we take showers and have seen no change in the incubator humidity. You might think about setting one egg less than a full boat load, so you leave yourself a hole to add water into the bottom water tray. It's tough to see the level of a clear liquid in the bottom of the clear plastic tray. I have to tip it a bit to make out the water level. The humidity (in the bator) has been pretty steady at 49%~55%, except for the first half day, when it started out at 70%. Not sure why that happened. I'll candle on Thursday and hope for the best. Good luck to you.
fl.gif

are you going to use the dry incubation? and how long are you going to let it run before you det eggs in it? i do the dry incubation way and have found out that i have better hatches when i do, and i let my incubators run at least one week before i set eggs ( but i keep mine going all the time) good luck william

I'll start it up as soon as I get it. Try and find a place to buy a temp/humidity gauge before I put the eggs in.

Where do you buy those?

We are REAL dry here in AZ so I'm gonna have to use some liquid.

Where can a buy a Quality Candle light?

Anyway... Melissa's eggs should get here on Friday, bargains should be here on Saturday or Monday... and I'll let bargans set for a day so I'm hoping by Tuesday the 2nd I can get started which would have me hatching out chicks about the 23rd.

I should have the blue juvies out of the brooder by then and then I'll put the new chicks in it.

I was hoping it would just be a plug and play deal but it doesn't look like it.

I'll start with pics tomorrow so everyone can chime in and help me along.

Quote:
I let mine warm up for three days before I set the eggs. It seemed to be at temperature in an hour and stable after another hour. I read about trying dry incubation, but there is no way we could ever get our house humidity high enoug to get 25% or so humidity in the incubator. Our outside humidity gets as low as the single didgits this time of year, we're lucky if the house is abouve 20% and we are at 5200'. We leave a pot of water on the woodstove and it last about two hours. I figured we would try the water in the pan route for the first batch and adjust from there.
hmm.png

Quote:
I picked up one of those Sprnigfield thermo?hygro from Wally World. $6.83. I checked against both of my Oregon Scientific and it was spot on. Of course, they were both made in china too.
tongue.png

if you have a wal-mart you can get a good temp/humidty gauge there for less than ten bucks, and when you there be sure to get some air line tube so it will make it easyer to put water in bator ( you want have to open it) if you need help just pm me and i will try to help i keep three bators going all the time, sometime four and have about 95% to 98% hatch rate william

WOW thems some fertile eggs you are putting in there.

I know I'll never have more than one bator and I'll only used it twice a year.

My wife would not be happy otherwise.. She already thinks I'm chicken insane.

But she is so nice about it cuz our kids really get enjoyment out of it and she uses the eggs for baking!

Back
Top Bottom