DAY OLD PICS! post #225. 12 hatched!

Well I for one can not wait! I think once you see them growing you will feel lots better about this whole thing...

Starting the chant... Candle, Candle, Candle!

Blessings,
Melissa

Last edited:
I tried to candle last night with my mag light.

I could only see through the leghorn eggs I have in the bator. I candled 7. 1 looked dead (as it looked like it had air at both ends) the others I could see an eye/head but only a little movement in one AND I DROPPED IT!

I'm such a clod. I put it in a plastic bag and looked it over since I knew I'd done it in. Wanted to cry.

I thought it would be further along than it was at 10 days.

Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to find something stronger at Walmart than can see through brown or blue or 'dark brown'.

Keeping humidity right around 45, temp is right at 100... which is weired because for the first week it was mostly at about 99.5.

Last edited:
We have ALL dropped an egg... goodness i've thought one was dead and cracked out a live peep... or the time I threw out one that didn't hatch and then it did... right in the trash can... I managed to save him but that experience made me feel supremely stupid for a moment. Now everything gets candled before it goes in the trash even if it has been 23 days!

They sell a flashlight at WM that is a rubber coated mini-mag light. It has a rubber end on the light side, great for getting a seal around the eggs so you can get a good look.

Totaly dark room or it is almost impossible with the Marans and the Ameraucanas.

You are going to do fine!

I have never gone so far as to clean the candler between eggs. I do not incubate shipped eggs with my own eggs and clean the 'bator between hatches. I also only buy eggs from those certified TPIP or NPIP. You can also use an egg wash if you are concerned about bacteria but I have never done that either.

Well, we went to Home Depot and bought a light that does 105 Lumens... it has a caution sign on it as it can damage human eyes!, so we could see through EVERY egg, including the Cuckoo Marans!

Also included here are the eggtopsy results...... I opened every bad egg and examined carefully

Here are my RESULTS!!

From Melissa (pasofinofarm):

6 Ameraucanas (Blue Wheaten/Wheaten)
5 with veins and movement!
1 was scrambled
6 Cuckoo Marans (nice DARK eggs!)
3 with veins and movement
1 had developed for maybe a day, of the other two one was scrambled the other one came out with the yolk intact.

6 Salmon Faverolles
ALL 6 with veins and movement!

WOW!

From our flock:

4 pullet "Sunshine" EE (very bluish eggs) X China game or mutt EE
2 with development Her eggs were hardest to see through... dark bluish/green
2 infertile, yolks intact

From bargain:

5 Speckled Sussex
3 with veins and movement
The other two were scrambled by the PO

14 Leghorns
10! with veins and movement

I dropped one that was alive on day 9 trying to candle alone with my mag light.
2 had developed to day 7 I'm guessing, but there was no movement
1 was scrambled by the PO.
That roo did a good job!

So I now have 29 in the bator. So far we are at 70% which I'd say isn't bad for mostly shipped eggs!

We will recandle at day 18 (the 17th) and then put them in cartons and raise the humidity to 60%!

Any other suggestions from you EGGSPERTS out there?

Last edited:
Wow, fabulous results! I am very happy for you and the kids, bet they are enthralled with it!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom