DAY OLD PICS! post #225. 12 hatched!

Quote:
I feel your pain. I recieved eggs(7 of them) on Jan 28th and put them under my broody hen around 4:30 in the afternoon. So I counted the next day as Day 1, so twenty-one days later would have been the 18th. I only had one hatch that day and one pip. Its day 23 and I only have 4 chicks(lost one egg early on) and nothing from the other two.
hmm.png
One I can barely see a air pocket on and the other one looks like its suppose to be. So
idunno.gif
I hope I get all 6 to hatch and mostly pullets. My eggs are from Melissa as well.
thumbsup.gif

When hatching under a broody you still have to treat the last few days just like you do in an incubator. The broody raises her body temp and the humidity goes up under her. When you take eggs out and handle them and they cool or are exposed to low humidity they often die in the shell or weaken and do not pip. Still I would say that 4 chicks from 7 shipped eggs is not a bad hatch even if it is what you finish with. Day 21 is average but if the broody spends time off the nest or the ambient temps are cold or all the eggs are not well covered they may be staggered. Day 21 is average but I have found that most of my fresh eggs at home hatch on day 20 under a broody and day 19 in the incubator running 100 with no detremental effects. Counting from set... so 24 hours being day one 48 hours being day two and so on.

HTH
Melissa

Last edited:
Quote:
Wouldn't that be nice... but no... I think it's time to candle and see if they are still alive. If not all breakout will show is formed peeps but you may detect dry membranes and have some idea of why they did not pip. You sometimes see this kind of delay in older eggs but these were definatly fresh...

Want more Favs? You and the kids have worked so hard on these... same offer as them Ams last time if you don't hatch. But you have to promise to relax and sleep more next hatch. Wish I had the shipping chicks thing down... or hatchlings... My son is here from Mesa and he could drive them back to you.... too bad.

Blessings,

Sorry Mahonri I didnt mean to hijack your thread.
duc.gif

Quote:
I hope you didnt take that post in a negative manner. I didnt mean it like that at all, sorry. I know everything has a part to play in the matter. Like the weather and how bad the PO knocked the boxes around, etc. Also that some eggs it takes shorter times and other longer. I would say for about the first 2 1/2 weeks the hen did get off the nest for about an hour a day, but would go right back. Plus she only has one wing so she may not have been able to cover them as a normal hen would be able to. One of the two remaining eggs I can hear chriping every now and then. So I think thats a good sign, and maybe Im just being too antsy. If I only get the 4 chicks outta this hatch then Im fine with that. I posted pictures of my four babies, do you think you could give me your opinion on what you think they are?

Quote:
Wouldn't that be nice... but no... I think it's time to candle and see if they are still alive. If not all breakout will show is formed peeps but you may detect dry membranes and have some idea of why they did not pip. You sometimes see this kind of delay in older eggs but these were definatly fresh...

Want more Favs? You and the kids have worked so hard on these... same offer as them Ams last time if you don't hatch. But you have to promise to relax and sleep more next hatch. Wish I had the shipping chicks thing down... or hatchlings... My son is here from Mesa and he could drive them back to you.... too bad.

Blessings,

I had to help out the last leghorn. (He is peeping like crazy now) The membrane was very dry, he had zipped the membrane but was unable to get through the shell... but in one spot and then couldn't move... I think my gauge is off because it says 70% in there.

Well probably wait until next year on the favs if you still have them... thank you so much for the kind offer.

I certainly appreciate all of the well wishes and good hatching vibes that came to us. The kids just love watching the little peeps.

be careful my humidity was reading around 70% but there was no water in the dang bator so make sure you have some in there i dont know why it did that

> Snip
Nose clogged. Been to many doctors, no one can fix me. I recently heard of another here in town that uses radio waves to open up sinus'.

I quit using that over the counter crap way back in the 1980s

I'm not a doctor, but I use 500 mg of Vitamin C every 4 hours when I have that plugged up problem.. Drys me up in about 15 min.

Slack off when sinus slacks off.. But I still take at least 1000mg during the day..

Vitamin C - Vit E and Vit D are very good at fighting Flu and colds also.. If I catch it quick enough I can usually kill a cold within 2 days.​

Back
Top Bottom