day old quail bedding, some leg problem

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yook2000, May 17, 2011.

1. yook2000

yook2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    New Haven County
    I used the dry glass which I cut in my lawn as the baby quails bedding. Can anybody tell me if it is good for the baby quails? I used these for the jumbo brown conturnix quail babies before. No problems. But for the bobwhite quails hatched two days ago, I found about 5 have leg problems. Some have one leg unable to stand and some have scrunched claws.

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Doesn't sound like a good idea... grass clippings are usually cut too fine by most mowers to use as bedding. The blades on mowers are made to cut it as fine as possible, but that's not very good in your case. They might have spayed leg because they slipped. Put them in a small container that forces them to stand straight. After that they should gain use of their leg muscle. Do that or wrap a band aid half way afound their feet so they have some support. Hopefully that will put it back into place.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Grass is not a good bedding as it is too slippery and can cause injuries to the quail as they are so tiny after hatch. Also grass is not a good absorptive litter. I would recommend a towel if you don't have pine pellets or yesterday's news as a bedding source. At this age, they are more susceptible to botulism which can be found in grass that was sitting out too long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by