Daytime drowziness?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
Just wanting to make sure it's not a sign of something wrong...but today for the first time, my rooster has been falling asleep on his feet, on and off all day. Think maybe something was keeping him up all night, or could there be a problem? He would walk around for a while, then stop, lift one leg, sink his head back a bit, and close his eyes. Then the head bobbing would begin. After a bit of that, he would wake up, walk around awhile, and then do it again. Very strange behavior....

Hard to say. Sometimes they will nap. Is he eating and drinking well? Poop normal? Comb nice and red? Crowing when he wakes up in the morning?

What is his diet? How old is he?

JJ

WOW my Roo is doing the exact same thing today except he lays down once in a while. It just started today. I just kinda ignored it, I figured ide get concerned if he was still doing it in a few days.

Quote:
I'm not sure how old he is, because I bought him at auction. Everything else seems normal. Lots of crowing today, including this morning. Comb is good, as well as eating and drinking. Poop normal. I have all my chickens on a mixture of layer and grower, about 50/50, plus free choice oyster shell, and they free range between 7 and 12 hours a day.

Okay, that all sounds good (except I personally would not feed my roo layer because of all the calcium in it that he doesn't need- I would offer game bird maintenance. There are varying opinions on the topic but from what I've read and seen they can develop problems). So with any luck, maybe he was just enjoying a bit of a nap, as mine does (though he's at least 9 years old...)....

JJ

Quote:
I would think that at least 50% of his diet comes from free ranging. How would I get it to feed only on something else, and leave the layer alone? I have feeders set up in the coop...

Typical male.....
Just kidding
roll.png

Some of my ladies have been doing that, but they did it when it was extremely hot last year too. Are you in this heatwave?

my birds all nap in the heat of the day.. several times a day... I have one little EE roo that when I pick him up.. at first I thought he was narcoleptic.. he would close his eyes and zonk out.zzzzzzzZZZZzzzz. i guess its just a safety thing and with this heat I expect more naping and keeping his energy levels up..

hope all is well )O(
Pink

My birds, including roosters dominating respective harems, take brief naps during day. Now that is getting hot, they actually sprawl out in shade while sleeping, evidently trying to slow their metabolism to stay cool. They always do this in heavy cover.

Back
Top Bottom