Daytime Foxes (Scotland)

Lorielus

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2017
Hi,

Apologies, as the question may have been answered a thousand times, but couldn't find anything specific to daytime attacks.

After 6 years of raising a few chickens and ducks, the last of the first generation (Furiosa) was sadly assassinated in the garden in broad daylight by a fox. I saw it jump the fence into the garden and I went out the window to try to stop it, but unfortunately it got to her before I could sprint at it to scare it off. I did chase it down and long enough to scare it enough (I assume!) to drop her, but of course she was gone as soon as the fox got hold of her. I brought her remains back home and she did get the viking pyre funeral a chicken of her magnitude deserved.

That's the second chicken we've had taken in broad daylight in the last couple of months after years of not having any sign of foxes (we tend to get badgers here rather than foxes), and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for daytime protection for free ranging chickens (they're safe in a box coop at night - I'll build a covered run if it comes to it, but I'm loathed to limit their freedom to roam around the garden)?

I know there are strobe light options but I doubt these would be effective in the daylight, and assume the ultrasonic ones would just be set off endlessly by the chickens & ducks themselves during the day (and my cats). Has anyone had any positive experience with the various chemical deterrants? I have invested in an air horn in case the same situation occurs again and hopefully it would frighten the fox enough to back off, but obviously that relies on my noticing ahead of time.

Similarly (specific to the UK as there as tight regional rules on what's allowed to be used), has anyone had any experience with trapping a fox?

Many thanks in advance as always!

Trap em all the time. They like fish or fishy cat food pretty good. I use #2 coil spring traps.

That said I don't know the rules or laws over there on trapping. I have a license for trapping fur bearing animals.
Thanks a lot - if you don't mind a bit of a brutal follow-up, how do you deal with them after you trap them? I know here the rule is they have to be killed rather than relocated (and I've no idea whether I could bring myself to kill a fox in all honesty) but no idea what kind of method you're supposed to use.

Hi,

Apologies, as the question may have been answered a thousand times, but couldn't find anything specific to daytime attacks.

After 6 years of raising a few chickens and ducks, the last of the first generation (Furiosa) was sadly assassinated in the garden in broad daylight by a fox. I saw it jump the fence into the garden and I went out the window to try to stop it, but unfortunately it got to her before I could sprint at it to scare it off. I did chase it down and long enough to scare it enough (I assume!) to drop her, but of course she was gone as soon as the fox got hold of her. I brought her remains back home and she did get the viking pyre funeral a chicken of her magnitude deserved.

That's the second chicken we've had taken in broad daylight in the last couple of months after years of not having any sign of foxes (we tend to get badgers here rather than foxes), and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for daytime protection for free ranging chickens (they're safe in a box coop at night - I'll build a covered run if it comes to it, but I'm loathed to limit their freedom to roam around the garden)?

I know there are strobe light options but I doubt these would be effective in the daylight, and assume the ultrasonic ones would just be set off endlessly by the chickens & ducks themselves during the day (and my cats). Has anyone had any positive experience with the various chemical deterrants? I have invested in an air horn in case the same situation occurs again and hopefully it would frighten the fox enough to back off, but obviously that relies on my noticing ahead of time.

Similarly (specific to the UK as there as tight regional rules on what's allowed to be used), has anyone had any experience with trapping a fox?

Many thanks in advance as always!
Trapping is probably the best option here in the UK.
Cage traps are ok. Noose traps work well although some people think they're a bit cruel.
Got to have a method of killing the fox after its caught though.

I've seen foxes stalking my hens many times during daylight hours.

Thanks a lot - if you don't mind a bit of a brutal follow-up, how do you deal with them after you trap them? I know here the rule is they have to be killed rather than relocated (and I've no idea whether I could bring myself to kill a fox in all honesty) but no idea what kind of method you're supposed to use.
Just shoot them if you have a gun or get someone to do it for you.

In the old days people used to gas them on the exhaust pipe but that's an extremely inhumane method.

I use a pellet gun on foxes. The ammo is cheap and doesn't leave a big hole in the hide.

Just shoot them if you have a gun or get someone to do it for you.

In the old days people used to gas them on the exhaust pipe but that's an extremely inhumane method.
Thats way way old school and that was used mainly by trapper selling hides. Pretty sure it's illegal here in the states. Takes way too long and most everybody I know either uses a pellet/bb gun or just cracks them right behind the skull with an axe handle. When I took the hides for my skunk and coon sporrans I used an axe handle.

lol. Pretty sure everybody that reads this will have ta look up sporran. Clan Baird here, OP knows.....

Thats way way old school and that was used mainly by trapper selling hides. Pretty sure it's illegal here in the states. Takes way too long and most everybody I know either uses a pellet/bb gun or just cracks them right behind the skull with an axe handle. When I took the hides for my skunk and coon sporrans I used an axe handle.

lol. Pretty sure everybody that reads this will have ta look up sporran. Clan Baird here, OP knows.....
A BB gun would just bruise the fox. Pellet gun is a possibility if you know where to shoot it.

Originally I used foot/leg traps but now only use live traps. I bait the traps for a few days and let the fox take the bait then set the trap and bingo catch the fox. I only catch any that have harmed my birds. I eliminate the fox. If you aren't able to eliminate it them maybe there is a wildlife rehab or someone who will take it and eliminate it. Good luck...
IMG_4004.JPG
DSCF0010 03.jpg
DSCF0012 22.jpg

Back
Top Bottom