Daytime outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicksandkids, Mar 14, 2012.

1. chicksandkids

chicksandkids Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    I have 2 week olds from TSC. it is going to be beautiful and warm outside the next few days here in southern Ohio. Would it be ok to bring them out in the yard for a few hours during the day?

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I don't see why not but I wouldn't leave them unattended. I'm assuming you don't have any dogs that might be a problem. A dog can do a lot of damage quickly even if you're right there.

3. chicksandkids

chicksandkids Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Our dog isnt a threat, but the neighbor next door has a problematic dog, so I will definitely only have them outside when I'm outside with them. I just have some weeding to do in my gardens and thought maybe my girls would like to enjoy the sunshine alongside me. They're getting a little testy in the brooder so I just was curious if they could hang out in the yard for a bit, good to know they can have a bit of a field trip!

4. darlinja

darlinja New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    I took my chicks out in the backyard today. One jumped right up on my Bassett Hound's back for a piggyback ride!

5. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    Mine went out today for almost an hour. It was 86 degrees outside and they are two days old.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    By 2 weeks old I take mine outside once in awhile on warm days if the wind is not blowing. They love it. Keep a close eye on them to make sure they are not getting too cold. Before I take mine outside for the first time I make sure that I have chick grit available in their brooder to grind up any plant material or bugs they may eat.

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm in Columbus and mine are just over 2 weeks and they are outside daily. Even today, LOL, put them out when the rain passed just for it to pour down and I had to pop up a patio umbrella to keep the rain off of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by