DD just made Loretta Lynn's Chicken & Dumplings!!!

Scoop

Songster
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
Central PA
I'm sitting here slurping down this Chicken and Dumplings dish, oh my, it's sooooo good! Believe it or not Loretta Lynn has a book full of recipes that she and her family have used over the years. She originally was putting these recipes down on paper for her kids to use when someone suggested she make a book out of it. So glad she did! Anyway... here's the recipe!

l large fat hen, skinned
3 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and pepper

Dumplings:
3 cups self-rising flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 egg beaten

6 to 8 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)

In a large pot boil the hen with the garlic in water for 2 hours. Add additional water as needed. Drain the hen, reserving broth. Cut into pieces and discard the bones.

For the dumplings, in a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Gradually add the water. Stir in the egg. Knead the dough thoroughly and roll out onto floured surface. Cut into strips. Bring the chicken broth to a boil and drop the dough into the boiling broth. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Add the cream and chicken pieces and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer. Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken if needed.

My DD used already skinned and deboned chicken breasts. She made the dumplings bite size triangle shapes. Oh man... so delicious!

I'll have to take a picture, but it will take a while to download.

Just printed this.. I will have to give it a try
droolin.gif

My son loves chicken and dumplings. He has been asking for it. This is simple enough for him to make.
Thank you for posting it. i am printing it out now.
thumbsup.gif

Here's the picture!

21251_dsci0572.jpg

Oh man! I am so stuffed! Needless to say, this bowl of chicken and dumplings is history! It's a very plain kind of dish and I am getting back to that more and more lately.

I always have leftover chicken since it's just DH and I and we have CX's in the freezer. Really too much chicken for just us. Anyway, I always cook the carcass down and keep the broth and meat in the freezer for whenever I feel like having chicken and dumplings or chicken and noodle soup. Thanks for a new recipe!

Yum!!! Looks like my chicken and biscuits..only i just plop scoops of biscuits on the top of the chicken/gravy and bake it in the oven.
I'll have to try to make the dumplings!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom