1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DE (food grade?) good or bad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itstartedwith2, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Briza

Briza Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Food grade DE should not hurt you to inhale on occasion because it is amorphous. The pool grade contains crystals and can hurt you to inhale. See CDC page.

For more information on how it works see Encyclopedia of Entomology

2. collie1470

collie1470 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Wilton, ME
    I can look when I get home from work, though.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Kathy, when my daughter and I met for Mother's Day, we took the grandson wading in a little creek. We were watching the little minnows swimming against the current, when I realized there was something that looked like glitter lying in the bed of the creek. It caused me to start giggling........ So I had to find the posts on here about "the glitter".

She thinks it is just as funny as we do. It was the best belly laugh we had had together for years.

4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

Funny how that thread has made each of us giggle!

-Kathy

5. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    IMNSHO, DE, food grade or pool grade, is not safe to be inhaled. Add that it doesn't work, what's the point?

-Kathy

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

So, I have to ask....... Are you inhaling DE to kill lung worms??

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  8. collie1470

collie1470 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Wilton, ME
    I see very mixed reviews on it, and it seems to be ineffective vs some parasites in some animals, and effective vs some parasites in some animals. Then I see things like this (link) and it reminds me that studies are only so effective, as each individual animal will also have different reactions to things. So who knows. Maybe when it does work, it's just luck. Or maybe it's just that the circumstances and amounts have to be right.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21673156

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  10. wcpeterik

wcpeterik Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2015
    My sister told me about DE when we first got our chicks and we have been using in on and around the chicken coop and run/free range area since they moved outside. I also put is all around on the ground in my rabbit free range area along with where they poop the most. The one thing that I noticed is that it definitely keeps the area dry and smell free. We also live in west Texas where our average humidity during the day is like 10% so it keeps the DE dry for long periods of time. My sister up in Wisconsin uses it all around her farm and swears by it so I gave it a try. As for its deworming benefits, I don't know. All I know is that it keeps things dry and pretty much odor free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by