De-Pluming Mites VERY effective Treatment I stumbled across!!!

Bella-Baloo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
So I have been battling The Depluming Mite recently. I have silkies so these are hard to detect on them unless you do a daily head check.
In the summer I bought a Rooster and added him to the coop.
After a couple months he got this Nasty looking crusty stuff on his head & skin around his eyes, I had never seen anything like this Basically just on his head!!! but affects all the skin around the eyes too!
( Lady I bought him from is reputable and told me she rescued him living in Deplorable condition's but had been treating him for Mites/lice ect. and she thought she had FINALLY prevailed against it.
He looked really good when I bought him.. no signs of any pests.... Long story short...I believe he brought this De-pluming mite to my coop UUUUGH!
I did rehome him and let them know what I had been dealing with!
Since then... this Mite will crop up on just one or two but is a pain it my Patushky!!! lol
The BEST most effective treatment that I have found is Bringing the Chicken in the house and bathing it with a Product I bought from the Vet it is a shampoo from VET solution's and it is a Medicated Shampoo for dogs,cats,horses. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS : Miconazole Nitrate 2% Chloroxylenol 1% The Name of it is SEBOZOLE
I put about a Nickle size amount in the water and stir the water well and then put the chicken in there and bathe them Head and all and let them soak about 15 minutes then... just rinse Quickly leaving most of the solution on them ( I just barely run clear warm water over them & then I place them in a towel and blow dry them.
This stuff works WONDERS and the chickens hair will start growing back fast!
De-scales and KILLS those mites and STOPS the itch & SOOTHES the skin! My dog had ringworm from a wild rabbit so she had prescribed this with the bathing instructions so when I seen this Mite ( because it buries under the skin and hatches Live young ) My Common Sense kicked it and I tried it & IT WORKED!!!! Now this is what I bathe all my chickens in If troubles crop up!!! I wanted to share it is AMAZING the relief they get from this!!!!

Interesting, have used it on dogs and horses before, never considered using it on the chickens. Never had to deal with de-pluming mites (hope I never have to), will keep this in mind. Do you treat with an pesticide afterwards, or the combination of descaling, degreasing and shampoo kills them ok?

I just put moxidectin in their food and metronidazole in their water and that takes care of mites and all common worms. Oddly, metronidazole works on mites though the mechanism is unknown.

I bathe them and then I always clean coops and after about 2 weeks I go ahead and use Ivermec cattle pour on drops under each wing and on the back of their neck and sometimes I do the top nub of the tail ( not the vent ) The shampoo seems to give Instant relief and hair starts growing back within just a few short days! Hope this helps!

How much Metronidazole do you put into the water to get rid of mites since I seem to be struggling with those depluming friends. I have 7 adult dwarf chicken and 5 half grown henns.

Bella-Baloo, where do you get your Ivermec? Is it ivermectin, the wormer used on horses? We had mites awhile back, and treated the girls with a product designed for parrots. We also cleaned their coop and dusted it with Sevin dust a few times. It would be good to have several different treatments available to rotate them as needed.

Hi War Chicken,
could you tell me how much Metronidazole you use for how big a chicken. I have dwarf chicken so I guess I need to work it out myself.
Regards

My Husband has ordered the Medicated Shampoo for our chickens ! Can't wait till it gets Here !!! As 3 Chickens have it !! I have also noticed Black mites on our Blue chicken coop Rooster & some of the Brown Leg Horn girls , on thier combs ! My husband held the Rooster while I used Q tip swabs dipped in Witch
Hazel , to clean them off ! Followed by Neosporin with Qtips as well ! That was Sun. 8 / 16 / 15 !
I've seen just a few on the Roosters comb , will Repeat the treatment agian Wed. am ( 8 / 19 / 15 )
What causes the Depluming Mites ? As we have had Chickens for almost 4 yrs.
Have 2 Chicken Coops & 1 Chicken Tractor , they are seperated by 15 - 20 ft. & have fenched enclosers .
The yellow chicken coop girls don't seem to have mites in thier combs , or the Depluming mites ! As I am keeping a very close watch !!
What steps or preventive measures can I take to minimize this from becoming a Huge problem with All of the " Girls " ?
Sherren A. from Whidbey Island .

I bathe them and then I always clean coops and after about 2 weeks I go ahead and use Ivermec cattle pour on drops under each wing and on the back of their neck and sometimes I do the top nub of the tail ( not the vent ) The shampoo seems to give Instant relief and hair starts growing back within just a few short days! Hope this helps!

Hi Bella-Baloo. I think I'm facing this nasty little mite. So u put a nickeled sized amount of SEBOZOLE in how much water??

What is Ivermectin cattle pour? Do you know where I can order this from?

Hi you can buy Ivermectrin for cattle "pour on" at local Tractor Supply, Atwoods or your local Co-op
ALSO I wash them in a kitchen sink filled about 1/2 to 3/4 depending the size of the birds
WARNING: They all seem to" go to sleep" so keep their head up!!!
yippiechickie.gif

I make the water fairly warm too so they can soak 15 minutes! ( if they shiver add more warm water they are too cold! ) I turn of my air conditioner too until after I blow dry each one! I place an old towel or rug on my toilet, lid down and use a blow dryer ( don't burn them keep it away 15" or on warm air not hot )
I also use an old Cosmetic Brush ( soft blush brush ) to wash all around their Head, face and eyes ears! you can apply a drop or 2 of the shampoo on the brush just don't get it in their Eyes!

Back
Top Bottom