1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DE Use on 3-Week old Chicks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChloeChick, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ChloeChick

ChloeChick New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    Can anyone tell me how old chicks have to be before you can apply DE directly to them and to use in their bedding? I have three baby chicks, all 3-weeks old. Two look fine; one looks ratty and itches a lot. Acts fine in all other ways, and I don't see or feel anything on her. I want to rule out mites/lice and thought I'd apply DE as a preventative, but I want to make sure they're old enough? Can anyone help?

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I wouldn't put it directly on her, I'd put some in the bedding and in whatever area they normally scratch around in.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You should be able to see mites or lice on a bird that small, but you can put it in the bedding at any time

4. ChloeChick

ChloeChick New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks so much for the replies. I did go ahead and sprinkle it in their bedding and it doesn't seem to have bothered them at all. She seems healthy in every other way. Maybe what I'm seeing is just her losing baby fuzz and gaining feathers? We have three full-grown hens from last year that we raised since a week old, and I just never remembered them looking as blotchy as this one, at this early an age. But I am just going to watch her and see. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing, in my Mommy Mode! Thanks again.

5. NanaRose

NanaRose Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    South Alabama
    I have the same questioning. I am raising my first ever chicks. They are also 3 weeks old yesterday and look a little ratty. I noticed them poking and digging with their beaks beneath their wings and wondered about mites. Hubby suggested it is their down coming out and feathers coming in. I plan to dust their bedding today with DE.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] First of all welcome to the flock ChloeChick and NanaRose! The chicks may be itchy from new growth but it could also be mites. It seems like all of them would have mites or lice since they are all in the same brooder or pen. DE works very good and it won't hurt them if they are just growing out and don't have bugs! I hope to see both of you around the forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by