De-worming a single chicken?

RGB RIP

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
I have 4 chickens, 3 of which are relatively new (arrived mid-July). The 2 year-old hen from my original flock became unsociable around the time her last original flock mate died and the new ones arrived. She stopped laying eggs entirely, her comb is pale, and she seems a little skinny. I assumed she was just traumatized by all the changes, but she hasn't improved, and it occurs to me she may have worms. I bought some Wormer Deluxe powder (10% oxfendazole/10% praziquantel), but I can only find instructions for giving it to the whole flock in water. The other 3 chickens were de-wormed by their previous owner, and I know there's egg withdrawal period every time you use it, plus resistance issues. So I'd rather not treat the 3 egg-laying chickens just on the theory that the non-egg-laying chicken might have worms.

Does anyone have experience/suggestions for dosing a single chicken?

(And yes, I know I could take her to the vet. But every time I take a chicken to the vet it costs me at least $250, and I've never once found it to be helpful. It seems like deworming should be a simple enough thing to do at home without spending so much.)

I don’t know anything about oxfendazole. Most people use albendazole (Valbazen) or fenbendazole (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste, or Panacur horse paste.) You could get the SafeGuard or Panacur horse paste for under $16 and use it on your one chicken. To treat just roundworms, give 1/4 ml per pound once orally, and repeat that in 10 days. That is 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen. To treat all worms except tapeworms which are rare, give it orally for 5 consecutive days. When you want to worm your other hens, use a 14 day egg withdrawal. The SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer ($27) may be a better buy long term for worming your whole flock. I prefer Valbazen ($49) since 2 doses treats everything, but it is more pricey, and may need to be bought online.

I don’t know anything about oxfendazole. Most people use albendazole (Valbazen) or fenbendazole (SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste, or Panacur horse paste.) You could get the SafeGuard or Panacur horse paste for under $16 and use it on your one chicken. To treat just roundworms, give 1/4 ml per pound once orally, and repeat that in 10 days. That is 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen. To treat all worms except tapeworms which are rare, give it orally for 5 consecutive days. When you want to worm your other hens, use a 14 day egg withdrawal. The SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer ($27) may be a better buy long term for worming your whole flock. I prefer Valbazen ($49) since 2 doses treats everything, but it is more pricey, and may need to be bought online.
This reminds me of my Easter Egger, do you have any other symptoms you could share, I just wanna see if mine girls realate to yours.

Back
Top Bottom