De-worming chickens.

On Wazine not being recommended for laying hens, remember that these are recommendations for commercial operations, and sometimes have more to do with govt. regulations than chicken health. People give Wazine then eat the eggs all the time (I don't know the withdrawal for Wazine.)

On worming, I go by Dawg53's recommendations, because he keeps current with this. The only wormer officially recommended for chickens is piperazine (Wazine is one brand) and it only gets roundworms, so you can actually lose your chickens if you're not willing to venture into the world of cattle, sheep, etc. wormers and they happen to have something like gapeworm or tapeworm.

Valbazen (albendazole) is the only wormer that gets all chicken worms, and it is safer because it acts slowly, so it cannot cause the chicken to get clogged up with dead worms, which can happen with other wormers if they are infested enough. It does not kill mites, which Eprinex pour on does, but Eprinex is becoming less and less effective on the worms it used to take care of. And Eprinex does not kill lice.

Valbazen dose: 0.5 cc (ml) by mouth for each large fowl bird, 0.25cc for bantams. Repeat in 10 days. Egg withdrawal is a total of 24 days. It's actually 14 days after each dose, which adds up to 24 days.

There are a number of natural wormers people use, such as pumpkin seeds and cayenne. I have not read anything to indicate any of them actually rid a chicken of worms.

My links on worming:

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5770173#p5770173

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=323454

I try to worm when the laying has slowed down to a drip. Like now. As with livestock, I would rotate wormers so they don't get resistant to it.

Quote:
can I give Wazine to my goats and rabbits too? Just figured I would like to get an all around product so I am not paying out the nose for a bottle that is going to end up going bad before I can use it all....also, can I just add Wazine to their water? Or MUST I give it to each bird individually? I have over 40 birds.

Thank you so so much for your info, and for breaking it all down...much appreciated!

Quote:
can I give Wazine to my goats and rabbits too? Just figured I would like to get an all around product so I am not paying out the nose for a bottle that is going to end up going bad before I can use it all....also, can I just add Wazine to their water? Or MUST I give it to each bird individually? I have over 40 birds.

Thank you so so much for your info, and for breaking it all down...much appreciated!

Read the directions on the bottle of wazine, it'll tell you how to administer it. Wazine is not an all around product, it only gets rid of large roundworms. You'll need a broad spectrum wormer such as valbazen or safeguard liquid goat wormer to get rid of most worms that chickens can get. Valbazen gets them all. I know nothing about rabbits nor goats. Of course you can use the safeguard liquid goat wormer on your goats.

Just talked to our vet today and he said that he does not recommend routine worming because of the resistance to the wormer that occurs.

He also warns that Valbazen stays in the chicken's body a long time and has more side effects than Ivermectin, primarily liver damage to the chicken.

This Avian and Zoo veterinarian recommended that BYC members take a bag of poop from the coop to a local vet. Or contact your 4-H office and ask how you can
find out if your chicken flock even has worms and what kind they are.

Some Humane Societies will help with a fecal check and vet advice. And veterinary colleges routinely do fecal checks for local smaller and moderate scale chicken owners.

I hope everyone realizes that the advice the chicken owners give each other on this site may or may not be good advice and there could even be financial motives for products to be promoted to us via this website.

We do have resources in our communities to verify the health of our flock and then to find the best course of action if we have a problem with our flock. Some advice that we get on the BYC forum may be incorrect or perhaps just not the best advice that we could get if we checked with knowledgable people in our community.

Our vet reassured me that many many vets will help BYC folks test their flocks and will not make them bring their chickens into the office unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Pine Grove recommends Valbazen since it gets every worm chickens are susceptible to. I'd take anything he said about chicken health to the bank, him having raised chickens for over 50 years and being an NPIP tester for the state to boot. I personally do not worm my birds on a regular basis since the flocks are free ranged every week on a rotating basis, but would have no issue using Valbazen. It starves out worms over a several-day period so they don't clog up the system, in case they have a heavy load inside. Sounds a good bit safer to me, especially since I worm on average less than once a year.

My husband and I are new to owning chickens and heard that worms can cause diarrhea, which I had just noticed a couple having. Did a little research online and found that garlic soaked in water over night makes a concentrate that you can add to their drinking water, for a week. This is supposed to be an all natural dewormer- not sure if it will work, but I would feel better eating the eggs after the garlic treatment, rather then the meds. I just want them to be better because we did see a worm in a egg last week- NOT from one of our birds, but from a bird in a flock that we babysat at our home for 2 weeks. So grossed out- gonna be a while before I eat any eggs. Really just want our birds to be as healthy and happy as they can be.

Back
Top Bottom