De-worming Chicks

sidneyl68

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
So I just bought 6 chicks about a week ago. I've notice one of my chicks acting weird and I was looking up symptoms and they matched perfectly with gapeworm. I just bought safeguard dewormer for goats (its the oral liquid) and wanted to know what the dosage would be for the little guy. I've seen many dosages but I'm not sure which one to go with. Much help would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
So I just bought 6 chicks about a week ago. I've notice one of my chicks acting weird and I was looking up symptoms and they matched perfectly with gapeworm. I just bought safeguard dewormer for goats (its the oral liquid) and wanted to know what the dosage would be for the little guy. I've seen many dosages but I'm not sure which one to go with. Much help would be appreciated!!
Are your chicks one week old?

The chick I was talking about in this post passed away today about an hour ago. Never did find out why was wrong with the poor little guy though. But it'll be okay. Just hope it wasn't contagious to my other chicks

The chick I was talking about in this post passed away today about an hour ago. Never did find out why was wrong with the poor little guy though. But it'll be okay. Just hope it wasn't contagious to my other chicks

I am so sorry for your loss. There is brooder pneumonia (I think that is uncommon) which they can get, causing them to gasp a lot (fungal pneumonia). That is the only thing in hindsight I can think of that might make you think gapeworm (except for respiratory disease causing pneumonia).

Just make sure you don't have moldy feed, litter, or coop areas. I don't think there is anything you could have done, to my knowledge, to save the little one.

Sometimes they just pass away no matter what you do, especially when they are brand new. The oldest chick I ever lost for "no reason" was 3 weeks old. I am sorry for your baby chick's passing.

I am so sorry for your loss. There is brooder pneumonia (I think that is uncommon) which they can get, causing them to gasp a lot (fungal pneumonia). That is the only thing in hindsight I can think of that might make you think gapeworm (except for respiratory disease causing pneumonia).

Just make sure you don't have moldy feed, litter, or coop areas. I don't think there is anything you could have done, to my knowledge, to save the little one.

Sometimes they just pass away no matter what you do, especially when they are brand new. The oldest chick I ever lost for "no reason" was 3 weeks old. I am sorry for your baby chick's passing.

Thanks you guys. It'll be okay though. Thanks for this post though! That could've been it! It's not my feed or litter. I keep that in a dry spot. Ill have to check the coop I keep them in though.

Back
Top Bottom