Worms still in poop after de-worming!

4UrbanHens

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 13, 2014
Hi all - I just de-wormed my chickens using safeguard 3ml to a 1 gallon water and changed it daily. I did this for 3 days and repeated on day 10 to kill any remaining young worms. The withdrawal period just ended and I noticed tiny worms in one of my hens poops again. What should I do? Should I repeat this whole process once more? Up the dosage? Please help! I hate to have to go through weeks of egg withdrawal again.

Where did you find that dosage? I am sorry that you used SafeGuard that way, but SafeGuard is shaken well, then given orally undiluted at a dosage of 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight. Give it once and repeat in 10 days for roundworms only, and to treat all other worms except tapeworms, give it for 5 consecutive days. SafeGuard will settle out in water, so that is not a good way to give it. Also putting a wormer in the water will not guarantee that they would take enough of it to treat worms. Were the worms still moving? Do you have any pictures? Could they have been maggots?

Hi all - I just de-wormed my chickens using safeguard 3ml to a 1 gallon water and changed it daily. I did this for 3 days and repeated on day 10 to kill any remaining young worms. The withdrawal period just ended and I noticed tiny worms in one of my hens poops again. What should I do? Should I repeat this whole process once more? Up the dosage? Please help! I hate to have to go through weeks of egg withdrawal again.
The worms are in the ground and if the chickens are kept in a small area then they'll risk picking up worms from now on until the cycle is broken. This is a simple fact.
What some do is worm on a regular basis. This wont necessarily stop the chickens getting worms, more it will keep the internal worm count down to a non critical level.
Change the chemical you use for worming, if worming on a regular basis, will help avoid the worms becoming tolerant to a particular chemical.

If the chickens are confined to a coop and run, moving the coop and run to fresh ground will help if not solve the problem.

Keeping the run free of chicken shit helps a lot and is something that should be done from day one.

What some still do is deep dig the run ground, soak it in petrol and burn it. Fire kills most parasites.

Where did you find that dosage? I am sorry that you used SafeGuard that way, but SafeGuard is shaken well, then given orally undiluted at a dosage of 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight. Give it once and repeat in 10 days for roundworms only, and to treat all other worms except tapeworms, give it for 5 consecutive days. SafeGuard will settle out in water, so that is not a good way to give it. Also putting a wormer in the water will not guarantee that they would take enough of it to treat worms. Were the worms still moving? Do you have any pictures? Could they have been maggots?
Thanks for your reply. That makes sense! Yes they were moving, and they were not maggots. These were very small and threadlike. If I didn’t have eagle eyes I wouldn’t have noticed them but I am hyper aware because of the first incident. They seem to be the same worms as the first time, but this time they were much much smaller.

Th
The worms are in the ground and if the chickens are kept in a small area then they'll risk picking up worms from now on until the cycle is broken. This is a simple fact.
What some do is worm on a regular basis. This wont necessarily stop the chickens getting worms, more it will keep the internal worm count down to a non critical level.
Change the chemical you use for worming, if worming on a regular basis, will help avoid the worms becoming tolerant to a particular chemical.

If the chickens are confined to a coop and run, moving the coop and run to fresh ground will help if not solve the problem.

Keeping the run free of chicken shit helps a lot and is something that should be done from day one.

What some still do is deep dig the run ground, soak it in petrol and burn it. Fire kills most parasites.
Thanks for your response. What do you recommend aside from safeguard and also what would be considered worming on a regular basis? Every six months? Yearly? Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom