De-worming in heat of summer?

texsuze

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Texas Hill Country
My 5 hens were de-wormed with Wazine (per mfg instructions) and we just finished their 2-week "egg withdrawal" period. I now wanted to do a follow-up (as described here on BYC) with a dose of fenbendazole paste.

However, one hen is now broody, another hen is now molting, and our temperatures have now ramped up into the mid-high 90s. I'm reluctant to de-worm the broody and molting hens, seeing how it might be too stressful. That leaves me with 3 hens for a possible fenbendazole de-worming.

Question: would it be better to wait until temps are not as hot before dosing with the fenbendazole? It will probably be another 6 weeks before we see any break in the summer heat.

Question: would I need to re-treat with Wazine again if I were to wait several weeks to give fenbendazole?

Prior to de-worming I did not discover evidence of worms, although two of my hens seemed a bit scruffy and not thriving; everyone seems to have dropped some weight now that we are in the throes of summer.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Hold off using fenbendazole while birds are in molt. Feather regrowth will be retarded and ingrown. Once new feathers have fully regrown, it's safe to use fenbendazole. You can use valbazen during molt without any problems, but I dont recommend it due to the fact birds are under enough stress as it is, not to mention the hot temps (I can relate.) Consider worming in about 2-3 months with wazine, or after molt when you should be able to use fenbendazole without using wazine.

Many thanks, Mr. Dawg, I'll follow your recommendation.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom