de-worming questions

Garlic
Garlic (Allium sativa) has been found to have activity against Ascaris (roundworm), Giardia lamblia, Trypanosoma, Plasmodium, and Leishmania.

Garlic is available in capsule and tablet form and as whole garlic cloves.

It is an antiparasitic and an antibacterial.​

Crushed Fresh Pumpkin Seeds as well as watermelon, squash, cucumber, gourds contain cucurbitin which has being patented now to eliminate worms. How much to actually give I do not know. We just break open very ripe gourds, etc. and give it to them

One of my neighbors has made such a deal about deworming his birds (commercial dewormers) that he has to keep them constantly medicated or they fall dead from worm infestation while we give ours some Cayenne water in the spring and gourds to peck on in the fall. To date (cross fingers) we have never had problems with worms in 20 years.

I believe like some of the other posters that over medicating instead of letting nature itself find a balance is the key. If I have a particular bird that seems to be disease prone I cull it period.

I've used garlic before when feeding a reef aquarium. It is used to ward off and treat parasites like ICH. It definitely worked for that so there are medicinal values for garlic.

Would garlic powder not work? If so... just do garlic AND cayenne powder in the food!
smile.png
A $5 can from Sam's of either one would last a year or more.

Thoughts?

I think what they are trying to say is that garlic and cayenne are readily available in bulk powder form. It is a large container that you can either sprinkle from or use a spoon. This is what I use and I get it from the grocery store. Hope that helps!

That, I do not know. I have always used fresh because that was what I was told to use. Garlic Powder has most of the same properties as regular garlic but I think you have to use more of it.

I raise sheep in the Gulf Coast.

It's not an area suitable to raising sheep, because the heat and humidity are GREAT for breeding worms.

I've done extensive research, and apple cider vinegar/garlic, any other "natural" remedy including DE is NOT effective for sheep or chickens or any other animal.

I've tried it, and tested the animals afterwards, and it wasn't effective.

Unless I dosed them with traditional wormers they would have died.

Meanwhile...my chickens are healthy.

If I gave them vinegar - I'm sure they'd be healthy afterwards! This is NOT proof of effiacy.

Rachel

I think I'll go with the pepper.
Mine are only days, how old should they be to give them the cayenne?
Can it be put in with pellet food too when they are older?

32279_shaggysgirl2002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom