de-worming questions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gjoyner, Jun 10, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Songster

I am new to this and have two chicks. I am going organic with these ladies and am only going to be eating their eggs. Do I need to give them any sort of medication for de-worming later? I havent heard anything bout it and just wondered if it was part of owning chickens. does Food grade DE do that? I just was wondering. Can someone let me know.
    thanks!

Ps: I dont think they have worms or anything..I jsut want to know what to do for the future. I have them on a non medicated starter still.

2. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Apple Cider vinager

1 person likes this.
  3. gjoyner

gjoyner Songster

what does that mean?

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Apple cider vinager mixed in their water is used for a natural wormer.

5. Garlic is also a natural wormer. Take several cloves of garlic, crush them up and let sit in 1/2 cup of warm water for 6-8 hours. Give each chicken an eyedropper full or a teaspoon full. It was in this months BackYard Poultry magazine.

1 person likes this.
  6. gjoyner

gjoyner Songster

awesome! I eat tons of garlic. How often do you do this? I live in Colorado which is a very dry state. How do you force them to drink it? Do you just pry thier beaks open and squirt it?

7. Verm-X is also natural. Seems to doing ok for my flock of 7 chickens. There is no withdrawal time either. So no worries.

Here's the link:

http://www.verm-xusa.com/

8. It says to just squirt it into their mouth.

Or you can crush garlic, and hang it in a stocking in the water. 1/4 pound of crushed garlic per 3 gallons of water. Do that for 1 week, then plain water, and then the garlic water for 1 more week. Repeat every 3 months it says.

9. gjoyner

gjoyner Songster

that seems like a lot of garlic for two chickens. Is that too much?

10. Quote:The 1/4 pound of crushed garlic is per 3 gallons of water, so it doesnt matter how many chickens you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: