Dead 6 week chicks

OH! I am so sorry. I agree it must have been the cold. I was worried about that when I put mine out at first. They were the same age as yours. I would hold my breath every morning for the first week when it came time to open the door! It was still getting down to the 20s here at night. We did add a space heater as well as the heat lamp. It is still only in the 30s at night so we are still using the heat to hold a good temp. Our big girls prob don't need it now but we added 10 more babies to our flock!
smile.png
HELP!! I CAN"T STOP!!!
big_smile.png

Do you think the straw could have been sprayed with some type of pesticide? Find out from the people you bought the straw from. What type of feed did you use? What is the coop built out of-- pine, cedar, oak, etc.?

i put our 4 week old RIR's in the coop and they were fine in 40* temps with a light. I don't think it was the cold that killed them, they know to go to the heat when they need to.

Sorry to here this
sad.png

I agree I would find out about that straw. Mine have been in the coop since the day I got them with a heat lamp and they have been fine and some night have been in the 30's.
Mine dont have any open drafts so they havent been getting chilled either.

If they were cold wouldn't they have all been together? Trying to get warm by huddling? I'm no expert but it sounds like they got into something, perhaps in the hay or insulation? Please keep us posted if you figure anything out! I feel terrible for you, my babies are just 2 1/2 weeks and I'm already so attached.

Back
Top Bottom