Dead 6 week chicks

chickygirls

Hatching
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Please help
We moved our 6 week chicks to the coop last nite and this morning they were all dead. The coop was new. The outside temperature was about
40 F overnite. We used a red bulb heat lamp in one area of the coop. the coop measures 6ft x 8ft. The chickens were not found dead under the lamp but scattered all over the small coop. What has happened??? Please advise. Thank You

Gosh, I'm sorry. Were there any injuries? I can't imagine what happened. If they were cold, they'd be under the heat lamp. Hope some one else will come along and give you some answers.

Based on the information given, it sounds like they died from the cold.

How many watts was the heat lamp?

How many birds did you have?

What kind were they? Meatbirds (cornish x) are very sensitive to temperature fluctuation.

Were they bleeding? weasels have been known to kill entire flocks for fun.

So sorry about the loss of your chicks
sad.png
A little more information is needed:
Was there any damage to the chicks?? Look close at the neck area.
What kind of shavings did you use?
What was the wattage on your heat lamp?
I may not be much help but this will bump the post.

Did you put a thermometer under that light BEFORE you put them out there to check to see if the temp would be warm enough? In a large area any kind of draft at all on a cold night could make things go bad. Sounds like they were searching for heat and died from exposure.

We used straw. We had 5 rhode island and 1 cochin. i can't see how a weasel would have gotten in the coop. there are no gaps.
Thanks -

Back
Top Bottom