Dead keet - cause unknown - beginner

farmland1

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2023
central NJ
Hello,
We just received our keets and chicks in the mail on Friday.

All the chicks and keets were moving around this morning. I left for 2 hours and came home to 1 dead keet at 11am. The temp was at 90F and all the other keets were running around. The hatchery told me it was okay to feed the keets and chicks the same chick food for the first week. They also told me to put Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother in their water for 3 days after receiving them (1 TBSP Vinegar to 1 cup of water).

Is the vinegar, food or temp the likely culprit? The keep pecking at their pine flake and the flakes end up in the water and food.

I put an extra heat lamp in there to raise the temp up to 95-100F now....but is that too hot?
We are heading to tractor supply to get crumbled game food and a second brooder so we can separate chicks from keets.

Any suggestions? My kids were really upset. I dont want to lose more if I can prevent it.

90 would be too hot in my house.
I prefer to start the littles off at 85F.

I would NOT add another lamp if I were you and I would double check to make sure you aren't overheating them and make sure they have enough room to get away from the heat.

Can you post a few pictures of your set up and the exact feed you are using?

Plain water is better.
Not cold water...room temp water.

They are set up in the bathroom right now with a heat lamp and oil heater.

The dead keet was found on the side with the heat lamp. Are they smart enough to get up and move away from the heat?

The food is Purina Start & Grow Medicated Crumbles Poultry feed - Chick Strong System. Protein is 18%

Would it be okay to convert a 26 inch x 22 inch dog crate into a 2nd brooder using cardboard around the bottom and sides?

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 5
My husband just came home with Purina Gam Bird 30% Protein Starter Crumbles from TSC and Nuri-Drench for poultry.

How do you administer the Nuri-Drench? With a dropper?

Should I use plain water for the keets or chicks or both (vs adding the vinegar)?

One last 2 questions:

TSC recommended pine flakes. I just read online to not use them because the keets may eat it and clog up intestines. What bedding do you recommend for keets?

Is it better to keep the room dry or use a humidifier?

They are set up in the bathroom right now with a heat lamp and oil heater.

The dead keet was found on the side with the heat lamp. Are they smart enough to get up and move away from the heat?

The food is Purina Start & Grow Medicated Crumbles Poultry feed - Chick Strong System. Protein is 18%

Would it be okay to convert a 26 inch x 22 inch dog crate into a 2nd brooder using cardboard around the bottom and sides?
No..they are not smart enough.

Heat lamps would for sure kill any bird inside my house no matter the time of year.

I use a regular old school incandescent 60 watt light bulb and not a heat lamp bulb.

Yes... You could even use a cardboard box as a brooder or a plastic tub container, but just make sure that you do not use a heat lamp bulb in either of these.

One last 2 questions:

TSC recommended pine flakes. I just read online to not use them because the keets may eat it and clog up intestines. What bedding do you recommend for keets?

Is it better to keep the room dry or use a humidifier?
I don't like pine flakes at all because they're two dusty.
I use paper towels for the first few days while I have birds indoors and then I put them outside on dirt.

Ok. Thank you so much. I'm changing out the pine flakes now.

How to do keep them warm with a 60 W bulb? Is the bulb enough or do you use a second heat source? Is using an oil heater okay?

Back
Top Bottom