Help! Sick Newborn Keet

Tayjen

Hatching
Dec 14, 2023
My partner and I have our first set of Guinea fowl keets! Mom had one egg left after the others hatched but kept coming off her nest and it was quite cold. Could hear it pipping and see the cracking so we put it under the heat lamp. My partner saw him struggling once hatched to disconnect fully from his egg and pulled it off of him. I know this is a no no but he didn’t. Chick now is quite wobbly, head tucked. Can’t quite find its balance it seems. What can we do for him if anything? We separated him from the others and have him on a hot water bottle with a shirt separating them in a shoebox inside. The others were stepping on him so we thought this was best. Should we try molasses/poultry vitamins with a dropper in the am and offer some food? We only have chick crumb as of now as no where close had turkey. We figured to see if he makes the night before trying. Thanks!!

:welcome Hatching is hard work, and it may just need time to recover. Unless the others hatched 2 or more days ago, The vitamins might be a good idea. You could provide a mirror for company until the keet recovers enough to rejoin its clutch mates. Good luck.

:welcome Hatching is hard work, and it may just need time to recover. Unless the others hatched 2 or more days ago, The vitamins might be a good idea. You could provide a mirror for company until the keet recovers enough to rejoin its clutch mates. Good luck.
It passed away sadly! This is our second one that did this. Very sad :( we have 4/12 left. It indeed hatched 2 days after the others actually does that mean something? I got avi vital vitamins for poultry. Will that do for our others or is there a better one?

Back
Top Bottom