Dead Baby Chicks

Eggscited

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
We've enjoyed our Silkie chickens for many years, and I've never seen this happen before. I found 2 newly hatched chicks dead in the coop, and another chick who was barely alive. This baby was set away from the multiple broody hens who seemed pre-occupied with the existing eggs. When I put that chick back under one of the hens, I found it kicked out again about an hour later. I put that baby, and all the other eggs, (including 2 others that were starting to hatch) into an incubator. There are now 4 chicks who look perfectly healthy in the incubator. Does anyone have any idea why these chicks might have died? Why would the hen reject the new chick? I am afraid to put the new hatchlings in with the hens. Can anyone explain this odd scenario? Thanks for your opinions.

I have a broody right now that hatched two last week and completely ignored them. I found one laying in the mud of the run and one nearly dead just a few feet from the nest. Don't know why she's like this, except maybe because she's young and this is her first time brooding. Both chicks are doing fine now.

Back
Top Bottom