No assumptions

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I gave a broody four chicks and pulled the eggs she was sitting on. Two looked good so I popped them all in my home-made incubator.

I candled at lockdown and one looked great. Another was dead and I pulled it. Another, I thought might be dead. But I left it in the incubator anyway.

One hatched yesterday. Thinking the other was dead, I candled it--there's obvious growth, I can see the beak sticking into the membrane (not through it yet) and I can see the veins pulsing!

It's alive! I'm glad I didn't kill it with my careless handling. So now we might get two.

My concern now (or several) is that I was going to give these chicks to another broody hen. But now, if this one hatches there'll be several days between them.

Should I give the older chick to the broody hen now, or wait until the other hatches? Or until we know whether it will?

I may end up raising one chick if she rejects it. Or both if I wait too long. She's approaching three weeks and getting impatient.

It has internally pipped. I can hear it cheeping! The other hatched Saturday evening, so is a full day old.

It hatched this morning but apparently has both curled toes and spraddle leg, or at least some hip joint disorder.

I made little shoes for the curled toes, but if it gets past this it's going to be a while, possibly weeks. Far too long for the broody hen, and I can't put the chick out there in its current state if I expect it to survive. I introduced the other chick to his mom tonight.

It wasn't just the toes. Her hips were wrong, one wing was malformed, spraddle leg, curled toes and when I stroked her neck she cried.

She passed a few minutes ago.

Back
Top Bottom