1. socal chicken

socal chicken New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    Hi Friends,
    I'm hoping to get some advice so we don't lose any more of our sweet girls. I noticed two days ago they one of my BO, Sydney, was acting different. She was squatting in the yard. I checked her bottom and her butt feathers were somewhat matted. There was a soft egg in one of the nesting boxes so I thought maybe she got some yoke on her bottom feathers. I washed her up and gave her a body check and she seemed better. Yesterday I saw her very lethargic and not eating. I checked her vent to make sure she wasn't egg bound. I couldn't feel an egg. I sat her in a bath and gave her a body check. Her crop seemed full so I helped her vomit. I but her in a kennel for the night and when I got up this morning she had passed away over the night. I have 5 more girls and I don't want to miss anything with them. Any ideas about what could have happened? I've been checking their poop and don't notice anything different. Last weekend I cleaned the coop and noticed a ammonia smell, but figured it was the heat. Poor Sydney.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am very sorry for your loss.

A few more details can help with suggestions. How old was she? Was she laying regularly prior becoming ill? Do they free range? What do they eat,,,, treats, feed, supplements, pasture?

Sometimes these things just happen with no actual reason that we can tell. Natural causes.... but hopefully you can get some more answers.

3. socal chicken

socal chicken New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    Hi thank you. She was about 9 months old and laying regularly. We get about 4-6 eggs daily from our 6 girls. Last couple days we got 4. They do not free range. We have a large coop and a gated area for them to be in during the day. It's mostly hay and dirt. They scratch for bugs and I give them treats a couple times a week. I make them frozen snacks with fruits and veggies for hot days. They do well with those. Their feed is a layers crumble from Costco. Organic. Recent changes are that I put their water and feed up off the floor. Hanging by a chain because I started noticing a rat and some mice getting in at night. I made sure they could all reach it and they seemed to adjust well. We filled in the holes and caught some mice w traps outside of their run area. Also, I got them a seed and worm treat from the feed store on Saturday. They all loved it and ate it up. They are some grass from clippings on Sunday, which they had done once before. I'm not sure if any of these things could have upset her crop. She had a large squishy crop last night and her belly seemed extended and soft as well. The other girls seem fine and were all checked last night.

4. EggSighted4Life

9 months is pretty young. Have you looked up sour crop to see if that sounded like it? Are you grass clipping herbicide, pesticide, and chemical fertilizer free? Also suggested not to be more than 3 inches long for grass clippings. Did she have a comfortable position in the pecking order or was she picked on a lot? Are your other girls BO as well?

Since I have roosters and chicks, I can't do layer feed so I haven't read the ingredients. But in general I love Costco products and that layer feed is a great price!

If you really need to know... you can call your local ag dept. and they can usually tell you how to get a necropsy for fairly cheap. From what you have told me, sounds like it could have maybe been heat or failure to thrive. When things happen for chickens, they often happen very fast. But honestly I am not sure. Sounds like you are on top of it, paying attention to the others.

Even if it changes nothing, I would offer electrolytes and maybe some probiotics for the rest of the flock. Just for a little boost to the immune system. Homemade recipes are very simple.

I wish I could be more help, but maybe others will see this thread and chime in.

I used to live in SO Cal, but I am out of the heat now....

Again, I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. socal chicken

socal chicken New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    Thank you for taking time to respond. It is very helpful to chat about it. Yes I spent the evening looking things up and think it was sour crop. Although when I helped her vomit by holding her upside down and massaging her crop, there wasn't a smell. I'm going to change the bedding and give the coop and run a good cleaning this weekend. I'll make them all some remedies. I have already put acv in the water. Hope it isn't anything that I'm missing. Thanks again and I love that I can get on here to talk to others about raising chickens [​IMG]

6. socal chicken

socal chicken New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    Oh. And she was middle to high on the pecking order. The girls get along very well and don't seem to peck at each other much. We have a variety of breeds. Now we have a BO, Silver laced wyondot, barred rock, RR and a white one w black feathers. I think she is a New Hampshire? They are all about 9-10 months old. Thanks again!!

7. socal chicken

socal chicken New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    I think I'll skip giving them grass cuttings from now on. Just to be on the safe side. We don't use pesticides but have used a anti fungal in the past.

8. EggSighted4Life

Is the white with black feathers a Delaware maybe?

I enjoy having a many breeds in my flock. I think it's fun to see all the differences.

I have 1 BO who is about ready to lay, I think she also is middle of the pack. One time my BR were coming and she ran and jumped in my lap. It was very sweet. Not very original, but her name is Buffy.

If it is something you are missing, that makes two of us. Which of course is the reason why we consult others. I love this community and have learned so much here and met a lot of friendly and truly caring people. I am glad to be a part of it. And as I go through my day I often rehash all of my conversations (as I will this one), and once in a while something helpful might pop into my brain or "dawn on me".

Is the acv you are using "raw, unfiltered, with mother"?

I am not sure what a safe timing is between lawn product applications and edibleness. At my place we have just about every plant under the sun that is considered toxic... and all the predator animals to boot! So I do my best. But sometimes they make it over the neighbors fence (4 foot) and they have even more toxic stuff than I do!

9. socal chicken

socal chicken New Egg

Feb 3, 2016
    Yes! U are right. Delaware. I knew it was another state [​IMG] Thank U again your insight is appreciated. Yes it is Bragg acv. The other girls are calling out and looking for Stdney this morning. It's really sad. Hope they adjust to her being gone soon.
    Your flock sounds beautiful! Friendly and well cared for as well

10. EggSighted4Life

Glad to be any help at all.

Thank you for the compliment, I work really hard to provide a pleasant environment. I am at 48 chickens right now, because chicken math got a hold of me! [​IMG]

I do it because I enjoy the animals and watching chicken TV. [​IMG]

Sounds like your flock is beautiful as well!

Have a great day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by