Dead by my own hand!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the1honeycomb, May 22, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    a few days ago a dog attacked my polish teenager, her hip was dislocated and she was scratched up but I worked on her and she was doing great , I thought.
    This morning when I checked on her her eyes were a white gooey mass, just the sockets left and she was gasping for air. I put her out of her misery, I took a few minutes the longest minutes I could imagine, and it broke my heart.

This afternoon while working to fix a new coop for my girls, one of the babies had gotten out of the play pen I fashioned for them and came to see what I was doing, I didn't know she was there and stepped on her. She was eviscerated. I thought I was making things safer for them and i've killed 2 of them in one day!!!

I am a strong woman but not sure if I am strong enough to do that again.
    Be careful with your precious babies and I hope you never HAVE TO GO THROUGH THAT.

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    [​IMG] So sorry this happened to you.

3. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    [​IMG] sorry about your polish! It is better for the animal, but harder for the person [​IMG]
    as for your chick, I set a big waterer down on one as a tiny chick once, it was horrible and I felt guilty about it for a long time so I completely understand how you feel! You are not alone there

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for your losses!
    [​IMG]

These things happen for sure!

5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    they are with the gods big coop now. I'm sure they know you did not mean harm.

6. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    [​IMG] so sorry for your loss...

7. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    accidents happen dont be too hard on yourself, although I can imagine how you are feeling [​IMG] I am sorry you are going through this ! [​IMG]

8. AChickenLoverProduction

AChickenLoverProduction Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    I stepped on a chicken once, I also dropped a egg while candling it, and saw the 17 day old chick move. I was guilty for days, plus cried everytime I looked at the incubator. It will get better, and you'll fell better too! Sorry for your losses [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  9. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Thanks to everyone, your comments help. afraid to walk around the coop now. gotta keep them safe from everything!!!Ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by