1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead chick

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickens run, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Chickens run

Chickens run Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2013
    This morning when I went to check on my broody hen, I found some broken shell in her nest. I took it out, lifted her up, and found a dead chick under her. It still had a bit of the yolk that was not fully absorbed, so it still had a day or two to incubate. I thought the shell I had found was from the dead chick, but it turns out that another chick successfully hatched last night and that was its shell. The dead chick had a bit of dark shell still on it (the live chick was in a light shell), but I have not found the rest of the dark (dead chick) shell. It may still be under mama as I don't want to move her too much and disturb the four eggs she is still incubating, but what would pull a shell off of a chick that isn't ready to hatch yet, and leave the chick there? I'm wondering if it just got stepped on during the hatching process? That would be better than a snake. [​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Might have just gotten stepped on... I've seen many broodys eat some of the shells as the chicks hatch too...

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I know for sure our broody ate all but 1/2 of one shell of the 5 that did ultimately hatch. When she got up off the nest for the first time with the chicks- the only thing left behind were the 3 undisturbed eggs that didn't hatch and that one 1/2 shell.

Maybe she got a little excited about the first one to hatch? Sorry for your lost little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by