1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinyTeacup, Oct 31, 2012.

1. TinyTeacup

TinyTeacup New Egg

Oct 31, 2012
    This is our first time hatching babies! Our hen had 8 eggs under her, two have hatched about 3 days ago. Yesterday she left the nest for quite awhile with the chicks so we took the remaining eggs (they felt quite cool) and put them in an incubator. We could see them moving around in the incubator so put them back under her at night. One hatched this morning but a hour or so later when I checked the baby had died. I have taken the rest of the eggs out again as she has left the nest again. I guess my question is- is this the right thing to do? Hatch them in the incubator?

2. MASHATCH

MASHATCH New Egg

Aug 31, 2012
    ohio
    My thoughts would be there is a reason she left them.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Well there is nothing wrong with doing so, I think the one that hatched probably didn't die because it was in the incubator, chicks die all the time for no reason [​IMG].
    But congrats[​IMG] on the chicks that did hatch and good luck with the one still in the incubator!
    Hope I was helpful!
    [​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    oh and welcome to Backyard Chickens![​IMG]

5. TinyTeacup

TinyTeacup New Egg

Oct 31, 2012
    The eggs in the incubator have stopped moving, does this mean the babies have died?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by