dead chicken fit for cooking?

chikachickens

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Hey All!

I am new to this site, even though I frequent here quite often....question, and this may be kinda weird...

so we just lost our first chicken today, might be eggbound, I will be checking later, but my partner suggested putting it in the freezer...to eat later...I was a little weary because I don't know if it died of disease or what yet....

If it was only eggbound, would it be safe to eat? Also, is it safe after rigor mortis has set in?

I know nothing about anything of this yet, and would appreciate any insights ya'll have.

Thank you and am happy to be part of the BYC group!

No- throw it away, bury it, or burn it. Never eat a bird that you didn't kill. You have no way of knowing why it died, and it's just not worth the risk.

DO NOT EAT !!!
big_smile.png

Thank you all!

I am glad my hesitation wasn't misplaced. heh. We'll just give it a burial.
smile.png

I appreciate ya'll being so speedy too with your replies.

Ohh don't waste her. Process her and cook her up for the dog. All dog food comes from rendered meat. I have visited rendering plants before and know first hand the quality of the meat that goes into dog food. This bird, unless riddled with visual disease growths, is a good quality meat product for your household pets. My dog would do flips for it.

Hoping you have not discarded her yet. If you are going to just bury her to rid of her I would suggest using this as an excuse to plant a new tree. I often use the demise of my animals to usher in new trees into the orchard.

Take care, Ron

Back
Top Bottom