Dead Chicken Mystery Solved (Picts)

Quote:
There is nothing in the "coyote profile" that says they are strictly nighttime predators. While they prefer dusk and dawn, they'll hunt most anytime, especially when they have young.

I almost feel sorry for that skinny little thing........It just looks awful! I'm sure I wouldn't feel sorry for it if it had a chicken in it's mouth in the picture though!
wink.png

If I were you i would set out some poison or traps! Even if that thing is just trying to survive you shouldn't risk losing any more girls!

D.gif
:God in his goodness gave us chickens:
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Live traps, yes, followed by relocation or a quick bullet, but PLEASE don't use poison! Not only is poisoning a slow and painful form of death (yes, I know this is a predator, but causing needless suffering decreases OUR humanity), but poison is indiscriminate and can easily find its way into the environment where unintended victims find it ... even possibly the very chickens you are trying to protect.

Last edited:
I think that when we introduce potential food items into the environment where potential predators live it is OUR responsibility to protect all parties involved. It seems grossly unfair to dangle yummy things in front of them and then get angry when they follow their natural instincts. I think that beefing up security for your flock is a much safer ecologic fix than setting traps and poison.

I think the best way to handle this is get in on his good side. Take a couple of your hens and stake them out for the coyote to eat at his leisure. Then when he gets full and feeling better, maybe he'll go away and catch rabbits and such. What's a few hens if you can have a happy and healthy coyote? Like it's been said, they are wild creatures and do what they do to survive. That is one skinny animal. Looks almost like it's got worms real bad.

Sorry that this happened to you... I have been saying for years that when animals are hungry they will hunt no matter the time of day... Have personally seen racoons during the day and possums also... Have smelled quite a few skunks but they stay pretty well hidden during daylight hours... Just hard for them to hide that strong smell no matter what time of day...

Last edited:
I'd try & call it up. Its definately hungry would probably come to a rabbit call. I've seen yotes at all hours here at the farm. But ,yes mainly dawn & dusk.

This is the young male I've captured on the game cam this summer--picture taken on 7-24 at 5 am. I'm sure he's healthy, just looking for a territory. They tend to look skinny this time of year since they don't have their winter coat.

62375_pict0363.jpg

Back
Top Bottom