Dead chicken. What do I do???

yellowthechicken

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Raleigh NC
I am new to raising chickens & just came home to a dead chicken. I recently (a little over a week ago) added two younger chicks to the coop. They were 3 weeks old at the time and I put them in the coop with 2 others who were 6 weeks old. Everything seemed okay. I was keeping an eye on them all and had noticed that one seemed to be bullied a little but nothing dramatic. Anyway, I came home this evening to a dead bird (the one who was being bullied)
she didnt look torn up, she was just lying in the coop dead.
Did the other chickens to this? Any ideas what went wrong?
What do I do with the dead bird?

I'm so sorry, maybe it was the stress of moving and being bullied.
hmm.png

heavy duty black garbage bag and in the trash maybe?? when one of my chickens died i buried her, but i live in a rural area.

I had 2 separate flocks a few summers ago, and one day one rooster got in with 2 cochin roos and their hens.
The three roosters barraged one cochin hen all day...I wasn't there to see it or would have stopped it...that night she was really quiet, I really wish I would have brought her inside, and the next morning she was dead. The 3 roosters just stressed her to the point of no return, I was so upset.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
!! Sorry it's under these circumstances, but enjoy BYC!!

I agree with the others regarding the bullying. There's always one who has to be at the bottom of the pecking order and sometimes the others will bully them to the point of not letting them eat. Could that be possible? A three week age difference is huge at this stage. It's also possible that there was something wrong with it. Unfortunately sometimes that just happens. Can you put something in your coop/run that is just big enough for the other little one to hide in but too small for the others to get in?

Edited to add: I'd bury it in the yard but if you can't, then the trash is fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom